SONY Projecttion TV turns off by itself.

Old 08-10-04, 05:35 PM
TSAM
Visiting Guest
SONY Projecttion TV turns off by itself.

undefinedundefined
HELP! My Sony (1995 KP41T15) Projection TV out of the blue, turned off by itself. I tried to turn it back on, you hear the click to come on and it goes off again. I tried again, the same; it will not stay on. Low voltage power supply? YES, NO? If so, can someone tell me how to fix this myself? Thanks! T

Old 08-19-04, 01:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Try shaking it?

If that doesn't work replace the boards in the TV.
Pick one could be A, B, C, Board etc. etc. Cost about $300 each.
You might get lucky the first time.
If you know what your doing you could replace individual components on the board for less money but then again you would have to guess which one. Or you could spend the time to learn electronic repair and do what a qualified technician gets paid for by troubleshooting.
It is so tiresome to look at the responses to these questions on specific TV's and symptoms that you know the person asking the questions does not even have a clue to how a tv works internally. And by answering the questions your guess is as good as mine. The voltages present in tv's are something not to mess with if you are not qualified to even open up your set. That is why the manufacture posts in the product literature and most on the back of the tv's "WARNING RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK".
If anybody wants to post a answer to this question other than shake it twice
maybe they can also post what is the basis of your advise because if they don't have a meter and checked for specific voltages yours is just a guess and you might as well try shaking it or turning it upside down.
So come on with the guesses flyback? SMPS? H.O.T.? Convergence IC?
Vertical IC? Q630, Q604, C603, D623 on the G Brd? Solder A-22 on the A Brd?
Q652, Q659 on G board, shut down and relay drive?
MY REAL ADVICE : Take it to a service shop and get an estimate or Replace it if you have deep pockets.

Old 08-22-04, 09:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't try it at home!

Hey,
Don't "take it to the shop" because most likely, you will cause even more damage to it during transit. Plus, 99% of the time, big screens are fixed in-home. Some Sony's have faulty relays in them that MIGHT-if you're lucky-be covered by a voluntary recall. Don't shoot yourself in the foot by opening it up yourself-call Sony and they can tell you what's up and who to call.

Old 08-23-04, 03:12 AM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by zigzag
Try shaking it?

If that doesn't work replace the boards in the TV.
Pick one could be A, B, C, Board etc. etc. Cost about $300 each.
You might get lucky the first time.
If you know what your doing you could replace individual components on the board for less money but then again you would have to guess which one. Or you could spend the time to learn electronic repair and do what a qualified technician gets paid for by troubleshooting.
It is so tiresome to look at the responses to these questions on specific TV's and symptoms that you know the person asking the questions does not even have a clue to how a tv works internally. And by answering the questions your guess is as good as mine. The voltages present in tv's are something not to mess with if you are not qualified to even open up your set. That is why the manufacture posts in the product literature and most on the back of the tv's "WARNING RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK".
If anybody wants to post a answer to this question other than shake it twice
maybe they can also post what is the basis of your advise because if they don't have a meter and checked for specific voltages yours is just a guess and you might as well try shaking it or turning it upside down.
So come on with the guesses flyback? SMPS? H.O.T.? Convergence IC?
Vertical IC? Q630, Q604, C603, D623 on the G Brd? Solder A-22 on the A Brd?
Q652, Q659 on G board, shut down and relay drive?
MY REAL ADVICE : Take it to a service shop and get an estimate or Replace it if you have deep pockets.
hey maybe you should looke at the url of this forum http://forum.DOITYOURSELF.com the reason this person posted here is because they wan to DO IT THEMSELVES! besides its most likely a problem that can be fixed for even $10 or less, so why waste money on getting a new one, or the $200 you'll be charges for repairs. also so long as you dont stick your fingers in things youre not sure about then you dont need to worry. Im an amature at repairs and i work on tvs, vcrs, radios, and even the old high voltage vintage tube radios with them pluged in and powered up. you just need to be awake and not get your wits above you

ne way. yeah it sounds like the relay, easyest way to test it unplu the set, locate the relay, and then bridge the contact switch by soldering a piece of wire (thick guage about 14 or so) across the switch to close the circuit. plug in the set and if the tv comes on fine withough shutting off then it is the relay. but be on the ready mark because some new sets have a failsafe that turn themselves off if there is a problem for safety and fire prevention. with the wire installed across the relay you are bypassing this failsafe, and you are relying on the fuse, and let me tell you, fuses dont always help. at any sign of smoke or any irregular smell then pull the plug. if it stays on with no problems then remove the wire you soldered and the relay and go to a surplus store like princess auto, or a tv parts shop and get a relay with the same coil voltage and the same or greater contact voltage then put it in. if it shuts itself off again with the new relay installed, then you have a problem with your digital power holding circuitry. this is when you call sony, or take it for repairs, unless you wish to fix this on your own as well.
good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: