Speaker System for TV/Home Entertainment

Old 08-14-04, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker System for TV/Home Entertainment

I am about to run wires into a closed area for a TV located in front of a jacuzzi tub, and I was advised that the TV I purchase must have not only a A/V input, but a A/V output as well.

The receiver will be in another location, my question is:

Is the only thing I need is one set of speaker wires running to the TV?

Then use the wires for the A/V output of the TV, send it to the receiver/home entertainment system, then do branches to speakers out of the Home Entertainment system?

I am about to put drywall up, and wanted to make sure I have enough wires going into this location.

Old 08-15-04, 05:30 PM
melwats
Visiting Guest
Mel

I think that I answered your question on another site.

Old 08-15-04, 09:24 PM
coolball1
Visiting Guest
Is the only thing I need is one set of speaker wires running to the TV?
do you mean RCA cables?

If all you want is the sound from the TV to play through the reciever speakers, the answer is yes. You will need an RCA cable for the audio signal to go to the reciever. If the said TV has a video-out jack then use an RCA cable with three jacks so the option for video out is there.

You mentioned that the TV must have A/V in and out. A lot of TV's nowdays have a set of A/V input jacks located on the front of the TV for convienience so running an extra set of rca cables might not be needed. Depending how the set up is, you might want to just go ahead and run another set for the A/V input so it's there if needed. Then use the audio out (red, white) from the TV and hook up to the reciever.

Post back if you have anymore questions

Josh

Old 08-16-04, 05:58 AM
B
more info on your setup

Dunbar,

A little more info please. The best set-up depends on what you have and what you want to do.

What receiver are you using? Is the receiver only to power extra speakers by the jacuzzi or are you looking to get surround sound for the jacuzzi?

Is the receiver used for another TV setup, too?

I prefer running all video and sound to my receiver, then to the TV. But not all receivers are capable of this, so the video must first go to the TV and the audio to the receiver. In some cases, everything must go to the TV first and then the audio to the receiver.

Old 08-19-04, 05:46 PM
I guess to clarify, I have a tv built into a kneewall. The TV will be less than $200, and I know that the A/V input won't work for my use on the front of TV.

The reason I am buying a TV with A/V output is for the reason to make sure that this home surround speaker system that was bought a year ago ($99) will feed sound from the TV into the speakers and that is it.

I know that the setup I have is el cheapo, but I want to make sure that I have the adequate wiring leading to this system. I bought a roll of 18 gauge braided speaker wire, assuming there are push clips for me to hook up left and right channels for the speakers for the TV.

That way the wires go to this surround system that sends the audio feed from TV to Surround System to the Speakers.

I don't have the TV yet, first new one was no A/V output, but I was told from Best Buy that it must have A/V output in order to pull audio from TV.

I plan on running the wires tonight, and I am seriously considering running a 1/2" EMT conduit to keep my options open if I need another strand of wires to this.

Nothing fancy, I just want to make sure that if I do upgrade this system eventually, I have a good chance to do it without any problems.

Old 08-19-04, 06:59 PM
melwats
Visiting Guest
Audio Video

You should be aware that most TV audio RCA jack outputs require an amplifier to work. In other words, you have to run them through a stereo amp. Otherwise, you will have to get a set that is set up for external speakers. Your sales person at Best Buy should be able to tell you what the features are on the TV that you are considering. If you are planning to just run the speakers off of the external speaker jacks (not the audio output) all you need is two sets of regular speaker wire.

Old 08-20-04, 05:49 AM
B
The A/V outputs on the TV will be the RCA style jacks. You can't connect bare wire to them. The AUX (or TV) inputs on the HTIB will also be RCA jacks. Radio Shack will have the terminals you need.

18 guage wire will work for now. If you ever upgrade the speakers/receiver you will also want to upgrade the wire also.

Other than that, you are good to go.

Old 08-22-04, 09:28 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The receiver will be in another location
Sounds like you know how to hook it up, you just want to make sure you have the correct wiring.

What you will have on the back of the TV is 2 RCA outputs - one left, one right. How you connect those is really up to you, but I will tell you how we do it. Each output uses 2 conductors - one positive, one negative - so you need at least a 2 conductor wire. Since this is low-level output, the size of the wire is pretty much insignificant (IOW, you don't need 16 or even 18G wire.) The best thing to do is to run coax (RG-59 will do) from the TV to the receive - one for each channel (so, 2.) Then run your speaker wire (should be at least 18G for rears and 16 or 14G for fronts - depending on length and power output of your receiver.)

Of course, the speaker hook-up is pretty straight-forward. The TV to Receiver hook-up is a little more tricky. You'll want to put regular F-connectors on the ends, then an F to RCA adapter on them. This will allow you to run low-level outputs from your TV to your receiver without using high-priced speaker wire.

On the other hand, if you just want to use regular speaker wire, you can get solder-on RCA connectors for bare wire. But, the coax is much easier to work with.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-04, 09:03 PM
Thank you for all the replies; I will post pictures in a couple days, there was a change that will work out a great deal better, I have a problem with the home entertainment system right now working only on the bass, so when I figure out the instructions, I will be posting the pics.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: