Home speakers pop when I turn on/off lights?

Old 08-18-04, 02:26 PM
nxumdon
Visiting Guest
Home speakers pop when I turn on/off lights?

Hi
I've got a Pioneer Stereo receiver and Pioneer tower speakers...problem is that when I turn on/off any lights in my house the speakers pop. This even started to happen when I turn off/on my satellite receiver. My receiver is not grounded and it has a two prong main...any ideas...do I need to ground my receiver...how do I do this? Thanks

jason

Old 08-18-04, 07:54 PM
nikon90s
Visiting Guest
First try unplugging one component at a time and try your lights, first from the wall then cables from your amp. It could be a bad cable (but not likely) or you can find a bad ground it that is what it is but it sounds like you have a bad ground. I have seen them in house wiring and with a DBS dish not being grounded. The RG6 should be grounded near the dish and that is an EZ fix. Next, do you have a clean power component on your AV system or somewhere in your house? If you donít have one on your AV system but somewhere else try it on your system. If you do all that and the pop is still there try asking a friend if you could their amp to see if you have a bad amp.
I hope you find it
Good luck

Old 08-18-04, 07:58 PM
nxumdon
Visiting Guest
Hi
Thanks, I just threw all my gear onto an APC UPS and it seemed to clear right up as the APC does some kind of line conditioning...right on...cheers!!!

nxumdon

Old 08-18-04, 08:11 PM
nikon90s
Visiting Guest
You have a bad ground in your house I still might get that looked at.

Old 08-23-04, 01:52 AM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by nikon90s
You have a bad ground in your house I still might get that looked at.
its not a bad ground. when you turn lights on and of the contacts of the switch arch and spark when they connect or disconnect. this puts peaks of electronic interferance on the lines, amps are quite sensitive to this. thy pick up the interferance wich is usualy a different frequency that the conventional 60Hz, and thinks its an audiosignal, so the amp reproduces the interferance signal and it comes out the speakers as a pop. and the reason your satilite receiver did that was because of a relay. yes all you neded to do was put on a line conditioner, wich is a bunch of coils and inductors that filter out frequencys other than 60Hz and keep the ac waveform steady with no clipping.

Old 08-23-04, 06:30 AM
nikon90s
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Terahertz
its not a bad ground. when you turn lights on and of the contacts of the switch arch and spark when they connect or disconnect.
Ok then why dose not everyone's speakers pop? If the switch is on the same line then that they should? Or are you saying that his light swich is bad? I have see systems put on a swiched outlet that did not pop? I just want to understand I am not being a smart @$$

Old 08-23-04, 09:14 PM
Terahertz
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by nikon90s
Ok then why dose not everyone's speakers pop? If the switch is on the same line then that they should? Or are you saying that his light swich is bad? I have see systems put on a swiched outlet that did not pop? I just want to understand I am not being a smart @$$
it depends on the switch the older it is the more likely it is to arch and it also depends on the load that the switch is controlling. the more current passing through it the more likely it is to arch. in my house i have only 3 swithces that make my stereo pop. they arent on the same breaker, just because they arent on the same breaker doesnt mean they wont interfere, there just less likely too, think about it, they all meet at the panel the breakers are just swithced that open due to high current nothing else. im my house the exhaust fan swithces cause it to make a poping sound, and the light for the upstairs bathroom. it does this beause its load it quite high, i belive 10 or so 40 watt lights. also if the stereo is grounded some of the ground current will be drawn throgh your stereo either through the ground to the neutral or the neutral to the ground, depending on the voltage biases. and a house with a good ground wont do anything, because turning something off causes the available current to rise rappidly causing a spike on the live, and this is picked up by audio equiptment and is seen as static on televisions. plus it also depends on how sensitive your stereo is. also these voltage biases are also what contribute to negative ground loops, ground curent passing between the neutral and the ground through your stereo system resulting in a low frequency humming sound. this is just a breif explanation and may be hard to understand due to my wording, if you want a more detailed info visite these links.
for ground loops
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...op/basics.html
for line interferance
http://www.usace.army.mil/publicatio...684/chap16.pdf

Old 08-24-04, 04:57 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The contacts in the light switch may be bad
causing excessive arching. It wouldn't cost
much to swap it out with a new one .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question