Dead RCA Bigscreen

Old 08-30-04, 02:35 PM
bigwillus02
Visiting Guest
Dead RCA Bigscreen

Hello,
I have an RCA big screen and here is what happened. I was watching the TV fine one night, the next night nothing (no picture/ no sound). I am very good with electronics but have never worked on a TV. I have more than enough safety equipment, tools & electrical knowledge to get the job done, but not enough time to get in there with a DMM and sort out the problem. So if someone could send me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thankx

Old 08-30-04, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the model number and how old is it?
Can you describe any sysmptoms prior to it going out?

Old 08-30-04, 04:40 PM
bigwillus02
Visiting Guest
dead rca

Hello,
I do not have the model # on hand right now but I know that it was made in 1994. It had no symptoms to speak of. Thankx for trying to help. for FYI its a projection type.

Old 08-31-04, 02:54 PM
bigwillus02
Visiting Guest
Dead Rca

Hello,
I was able to get the model # for the TV it is P46729ba. The relay clicks, someone please help.

Old 09-02-04, 11:48 AM
Projo man
Visiting Guest
Exclamation HV Block

More than likely a HV divider block accessed from the front. Set plays all night then when you shut it off the block fails as it cools. Dead short, causes the set to try to come on but shuts down right away. Quick way to tell is to remove the front, Move the convergence board out of the way and you will see the block, Remove the single red wire from the flyback transformer and insulate it with a glass jar away from metal or any other circuitry. Make sure the brown rubber gasket comes out of the block. Power the set on, if it stays on and you hear HV in the jar with a hissing sound the set is fine and the block is bad. If not you may have power supply or horizontal sweep problems. Good luck and be carful.

Old 09-02-04, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jar and electricity

Good point Pojo Man. But don't you think the electricity would jump out of the jar. I think you should use a beer bottle as they have a long neck and if you picked the right brand say with a brown bottle you would be treated to quite an amazing light show. If it where me I would leave it this way as it would be much more interesting to watch than what is on tv these days like the Republican National Convention.

Old 09-06-04, 10:11 AM
Projo man
Visiting Guest
Good Point

Hey Zigzag, Good point, but empty the bottle first. Liquids make nasty messes in Tv's

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: