Meaning of "HDTV-ready"

Old 08-30-04, 03:03 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
Meaning of "HDTV-ready"

I bought a 40" Toshiba TV three years ago that was billed as "HDTV-ready."
Could someone please explain to me what I need to do actually use the HD capability? For example, is there something I need to purchase and install, and would this be a DIY project?

As a secondary question, I'm wondering what is the best way to identify programming that can be viewed in HD? For example, assuming I'm able to "upgrade" my unit as needed to view HDTV, is there some way to identify -let's say for the coming week - programming that will be shown in HD format so that I can plan my viewing? Is this noted in published schedules? (I haven't noticed since I don't have the HD capability yet).

Thanks.

Old 08-30-04, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HDTV Ready means it will display HD but you need an HDTV STB, or Set Top Box.

An STB can be from your cable company, if it offers HD,
or it can be a Direct, Dishnet, or Voom satellite receiver.
Not sure about Direct, but you can get a Dishnet 811 receiver installed for free with a one year contract, or Lease(DHA) on a month to month basis.
You don't have to DIY as the Sat. installers will install for free.

Okay, if you don't want cable or Satellite, you'll need a stand alone STB HD receiver for OTA(Over the Air), IF your local stations are broadcasting digitally in HD. But for this you will need a UHF (usually) antenna hooked up to the HD receiver.
Most people don't understand that they CAN receive HD locally for free.

Oh, almost forgot.
If you go cable or dish, there will be an on-screen guide, even for HD channels. For OTA, you can go to the major networks websites and find the HD programs. New ones are added to the line up all the time.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: