Speaker wall plate

Old 09-13-04, 10:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Speaker wall plate

Hi everyone,

I have run four speaker wires from the four corners of my family room to a single point where the home theater will go. The four wires are just dangling out of the wall. I want to attach them all to a wall plate.

I found one at http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...45415,00.html? but the problem is that it's a plate only for two speakers. I could use two of them, but I'd rather have one plate with four connections.

Anyone know of one?

Thanks!

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-04, 11:34 AM
CutterElk
Visiting Guest
re:

You can buy a wall plate that has 2, 4, 6 empty slots. You can then purchase the correct connectors that you will need. These will just snap into the emplty wall plate slots. for any extra holes you may have in the wall plate, they sell empty Caps for those as well.

Old 09-14-04, 09:14 AM
I found a wall plate at Radio Shack that had the 8 connectors, and it would actually accept wires or banana plugs. Seemed fine to me, but they wanted $25 for the damn thing. Are they serious?!

Where can I get one for a reasonable price?

Chris

Old 09-14-04, 09:26 AM
CutterElk
Visiting Guest
re:

Try http://www.ramelectronics.net
http://www.inwallstore.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=spwp

You might be able to find one around 10-15 on these sites. Hope that helps

Old 09-14-04, 08:47 PM
Thanks, man. Those sites, as well as others I've found on the web are as or more expensive than what I saw in the store. I can't believe they want that much money for a freakin' wall plate connector.

Sigh...

I guess I'll just pay it. Argh...

Chris

Old 09-15-04, 09:19 AM
H
improvise

world builder,
I am also wiring for sourround sound ( no drywall installed yet)

Considering the cost of those bannana jacks/plates; I am seriously thinking of using regular electrical jacks as substitue and affixing speaker-use-labels to each jack- then I will simply plug the speaker to those jacks with a two prong connector(wide and narrow- to dummy proof the polarity)

since I have a 5.1 system (750 W); I will need
2 front speakers
2 rear speakers (surround)
1 center fill (front center)

5 stud mounting boxes.
5 power outlet jacks
and one box behind the equipment for all the wires to exist from. then drill a nice hole in a blank cover plate for all those wires to the amp.

am I scaring anyone?

Old 09-16-04, 05:36 AM
B
handy - you're scaring me! You may remember what it is all about, but others will not. You are establishing a dangerous stituation.

Old 09-16-04, 07:14 AM
H
Bob,
To alleviate line voltage confusion-the outlet boxes would not be mounted at line voltage jack level; they would be mounted up high - 8" down from ceiling- close to speaker mounting location;

Worst case scenario #1:
1: a child gets on a ladder and plugs a lamp into the speaker jack while sound system is playing.
effect: lamp wont light; possible damage to sound system.

Worst case scenario #2:
2. Since the speaker plug looks like a line voltage plug; a child unplugs the speaker from the speaker jack and plugs it into a line voltage jack around the house.
effect: speaker damage; speaker shorts out;

I really think we have much more 'dangerous situations' that you could list scenarios for around the house that are much more prone to occur than the scenarios above.
and if anyone feels a slight hesitation with this setup then don't even think about attempting it. I am only sharing it to solicit ideas on the subject.

Old 09-16-04, 09:58 AM
B
Handy,

While there may be other dangers lurking around the house, we don't need to be adding to them.

If the speaker is plugged into an electrical outlet, what if the circuit breaker/fuse doesn't trip? The end result could be a fire from faulty wiring in the house or the speaker becoming hot.

Old 09-16-04, 12:17 PM
I have to agree with Bob here. While I'm appauled at what is charged for speaker wall plates, and the percentage difference there is between them and regular outlets, we're still talking about $20 (give or take).

Just pay it, IMO.

Chris

Old 09-17-04, 12:30 PM
C
While the two prong plug is an interesting idea (I'd never do it). If your try to save money, I think I would just buy a junction box with a blank metal/plastic cover and modify it. I would just make the connections in the box with any cheap connector and cut a notch in the cover to let the wire through. If you want to get fancy drill holes through the cover and use rubber grommets. I also cant forsee a reason why you would wont to be able to quickly disconnect the speakers at the ceiling (when you could do it at the receiver end of the cord).

Old 09-17-04, 03:03 PM
logistico123
Visiting Guest
Broadbandutopia.com has a good selection of plates. Leviton has anything you want plus some. p

Old 09-17-04, 03:15 PM
Handyhand,

yep, ya scared me. You probably don't need a special jack/plate for a center channel speaker?? It usually sits on top o' the tv and it's one small wire.

Don't forget the MOST important speaker in a 5.1 system - THE POWERED SUB!!

fred

Old 09-20-04, 12:50 PM
okl62
Visiting Guest
Speaker wire can be routed through the body of the bracket for a neater installation

Speaker wire can be routed through the body of the bracket for a neater installation.

try to fine B-Tech BT33 on http://www.crutchfield.com
there may be some more on the market...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0KIdBIX...&avf=N&search=