Transmitting audio signals via coax cables (to create a large speaker network)

Old 10-11-04, 02:04 PM
zubaidk
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Transmitting audio signals via coax cables (to create a large speaker network)

So here's my question. We have a new house and currently I have a coax cable network (TV cable) running all throughout the house that is not being used. What I wanted to do was use it to transmit audio signals to, say, my stereo sitting downstairs.

Here's the scenario:

I have a computer upstairs from which I want to send the audio-out signal to an unused coaxial TV cable (via some converter I suppose). And then downstairs I want to take that signal from a coaxial TV cable outlet (that is directly connected to the one upstairs) and (again via some converter) plug that into the "audio inputs" of my stereo or DVD player.

Is this just a pipe dream? Or is this actually possible?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 10-12-04, 02:20 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can buy a convertor to..

convert the audio signals to a TV channel, the problem would be on the other end, getting the signals back to RCA type. If you have a spare stereo VCR or TV, then you could use it to "unconvert" the signal.

I've never done this, but my main two concerns would be with the cable (how long and any splices/ splitters in it) and cost. The legnth of the cable may require a "signal booster", the longer the cable and more splitters in it, the lower the signal gets. As to cost, a good quality stereo A/V modulator will be pretty expensive.

If you could run some Cat5 or 6 cable to where you want it, I think it would be a lot easier to do what you want. Search for "whole house audio distribution" or "whole house audio system" or something similair. I think you'll be suprised at what is already out there!

Good luck!

Old 10-12-04, 02:17 PM
C
I think it can be made to work, if your audio out is a regular 75 ohm RCA connection. You can make your own RCA cables with RG-6, you could even put an F-connector on one end to connect to a standard cable connection. I'll try to find you a link with more info.

Edit heres a link to making these kind of cables,

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm

You can probably buy them through one of the shops listed in the link, but if you link to tinker these tools are good to have. I would just make sure you isolate the cable you plan to use from the rest of the unused cable system, to limit any potential problems.

Last edited by chris8796; 10-12-04 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 12:08 AM
D
That sounds pretty cool, but..

how do you send a stereo signal over the cable? (unless the cable has two seperate layers of shields?) I would think that that would be mono only?

Old 10-13-04, 06:54 AM
That was my thought from the get-go.
Shield for negative, center conductor for positive - that gives you one speaker=MONO.

fred

Old 10-13-04, 11:52 AM
zubaidk
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your responses guys. Granted...I am not too well versed in electrical knowledge and jargon...I'm mainly a computer guy.

But why wouldn't the coax cable wire be able to carry stereo sound? Doesn't the cable company send stereo sound AND video over the same wire? (And sometimes even internet). I'm kind of confused. I thought there would be a pretty simple way to split out the audio components of the coax cable on either ends.

What am I missing?

Old 10-13-04, 03:30 PM
Well, simply put, the cable company uses MTS with encoders
and decoders.

fred

Old 10-21-04, 02:21 PM
zubaidk
Visiting Guest
And the solution is...

Ok so I figured out a solution.

From my source (which is an Apple Airport Express) I am taking the headphone (3.5m) jack and converting that into RCA red & whites. Those serve as an input to a device I got from Radio Shack for $15.00 that converts an analog signal into a digital signal. The output of that box goes straight into the cable jack (via interconnects I got from Radio Shack for $1.49). That cable goes down into the basement and servers as the source for a 4-way splitter. One of the outputs of the splitter goes to my family room in the basement. There I have a cable (again using cheap interconnects) that goes directly into the Digital Input of my DVD player. This works great.

Now I am in the process of hooking up the rest of the house. I've realized this only really works if you have a system with a digital or optical input. Converting an analog signal to digital is pretty cheap, going the other way gets costly and bulky. So my other stereo which only has an optical output and no digital input can't be placed on this network. But once this works the options are endless and it becomes really easy to transfer the audio throughout the house and play them from my wireless laptop.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 10-23-04, 03:01 AM
S
Your dvd player has a digital -input- ? Wht kind of player is it?

Old 10-23-04, 08:03 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Must be one of those all-in-one DVD/Receiver types? That's the only thing I can figure. Or, maybe it's a recordable?

Or, maybe he's mistaken an output for an input?

Old 10-24-04, 09:22 PM
zubaidk
Visiting Guest
DVD Player w/ Digital Input...

My DVD player does have a digital PCM input. It's a pioneer all-in-one (XV-HTD510). I am not mistaken..it's an input obviously otherwise the setup I described wouldn't work .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: