speaker wiring

Old 11-03-04, 10:48 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
speaker wiring

I have a basic question: I had my builder install ceiling speakers in 5 different rooms for a total of 10 speakers. He ran all the speaker wires to a built in entertainment center he's building in the living room. How do I connect all these speakers to a receiver? It isn't surround sound, just 5 independent sets of speakers that I want to drive from one stereo. Are there 5 channel receivers? I doubt I just twist them all together and shove them into one hole in the back of the receiver...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-04, 11:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
It sounds like you have not purchased any of your audio equipment yet.

Yes, there are receivers that can serve multiple rooms and feed each room a different audio source with it's own volume control. Some are in one box and some have a separate pre-amp/ht decoder/tuner and amplifier. You get some really cool features when you spend thousands of dollars.

You can also get a "switch" box that will allow you to direct one input to multiple outputs.

In most cases you do not want to connect multiple speakers to a single output from your stereo/amp. You may damage the amplifier.
---
Personally I do not like controlling everything in the house from one location (unless I'm throwing a party). They can get expensive, they are slightly more difficult to set-up, and many people have difficulty using them properly and to their full potential. I preffer to have a main system in the HT room and smaller less expensive systems in each other listening area.

Old 11-03-04, 11:56 AM
tim_gardner
Visiting Guest
I appreciate the info: You're correct, I don't have any of the equipment yet, but I really don't like the sound of "thousands". We put speakers in the living room, study, master, bath, and kitchen, and each room has a separate volume control. They will all be hooked to a common receiver so I just need a way to drive 5 outputs from one source.

Here's another question: If I run these 5 sets of speakers to a common receiver in my entertainment center, is there anyway to also use them for internet music?

Old 11-03-04, 01:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 154 Posts
I just did a quick search online and Niles has speaker selectors to control six pairs for $150 - $350. Getting something like that with a normal stereo would probably be the least expensive way to go

Most "all in one box" receiver/amplifiers that I have seen can only control two or three rooms and seem to start around $300. From what I've seen a unit to control five rooms is pricey.

You will need a way to get the files from your computer to your stereo. There are digital music servers componants that can play MP3 files but are a bit expensive. You can connect an Ipod to an aux. input on a stereo, or just run a wire from your computer to the aux. input.

---Tim, I sent you a private message.---

Old 11-03-04, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Phoenix Gold and SIMA have speaker selectors for less than $100.

Take a look at <a href="http://www.etronics.com">Etronics.Com</a> for good selection and prices - <a href="http://etronics.resultspage.com/display.php?p=R&srid=S11&lbc=etronics&w=selector&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eetronics%2ecom%2fproduct%2easp%3fstk%5fcode%3dsimssw6&rk=12&uid=356153632&sid=2&ts=dynamic&method=and&isort=score">here's</a> a 6 Out selector (with Impedance Protection - <i>very important</a>) for less than $50. I've personally installed these and never had a problem.

Good luck!