DVD Will Not Play????

Old 11-12-04, 07:09 PM
griffey
Visiting Guest
Question DVD Will Not Play????

Recently converted my digital video from camcorder to computer and made a movie with windows movie maker and burned to a DVD with nero6 software. Took DVD to my DVD player and it played. The problem is that I take my DVD to my parents house to show them and I get the message CD will not play and tells me "no cd" on the display. Can anyone give me any advise on the problem????? And solution????? THANKS

Old 11-14-04, 08:43 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unforunately, as you

found out, computer DVD writers and DVD writers have compatablity problems. There are two different "flavors" of DVD-Roms and two flavors of DVD-RW's. Try burning to the other format if your dvd writer supports it. (If you tried +R last time, try -R this time.) You could also try different brands of media and slow the writing speed of the burner.

As a last resort, try creating a "Video CD" this uses a regular CD-R disk to hold video/audio data. Check your software's help files. Almost every DVD player _will_ play a Video cd. You won't have as high of a picture quality, and it may need several disks, but it should work.

You may also want to post this on the computer forum, the experts there may have more suggestions.

Good Luck!

Old 11-15-04, 05:44 AM
B
That is indeed the problem. Your parent's DVD player will not play the format of the DVD you burned. Some DVD players will play all formats. Some will only play +R, some +R and +RW, some only -R, others -R and -RW. There is actually another format -RAM. Some DVD players - notably older models (say 3 yo) and cheapies (under$40) will only play commercial DVDs.

Old 11-20-04, 02:26 AM
S
Not true - many of the cheapie chinese players will play most any format. Apex, Mintek, Initial, whatever. Many of them play more formats than expensive japanese brands.

www.dvdrhelp.com for details on specific players.

Old 11-25-04, 11:27 AM
T
I have a sony DVD 3000 model player ( bought in 1997 for $900 !!!!! )

It will not play any type of burnt discs except for MP's,

sigh.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: