Remote works intermittent

Old 11-23-04, 11:39 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote works intermittent

Actually, that's a lie. Some buttons work, others don't. At first, the buttons that no longer work, worked intermittently. Then they quit altogether. It also happened to a cordless phone I had a while back. Anyway, anyone know if this problem can be fixed (I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the buttons' ability to trip the circuit on the circuit board. I don't know why this happens and I have my fingers crossed that there is some home remedy that works well).

Old 11-24-04, 12:21 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I did the research and found the answer myself. If you open the remote up and take a keen look at the bottom of the rubber contacts, where the button meets the circuit board, you'll notice the black stuff rubbing off (usually on your more often pressed buttons). Apparently, these things are conducive and completes a circuit telling the remote what signal to send. Okay, cover the black section with something slim and conducive to electricity and it'll work. Cheap (and therefore flimsy and thin) aluminum foil will do the trick. Glue it in position and test it before screwing it closed. Or, and this is better, find some conductive epoxy and use it to cover the bottom of the button similar to the foil. Good as new! You can buy this epoxy in the eletrical supply aisle at Home Depot or try Radio Shack or a hobby store. Good luck!

Old 11-24-04, 12:38 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worn out remotes

Sometimes the rubber keypad simply wears out. The conductive backing under the button gets worn out. You can replace keypad if available. Or, you can purchase a universal remote.

I hope this does not happen to me. I don't watch much TV, but I now know how to operate it in the dark. Any change in the operation of my little 13" TV would upset my apple cart. With failing eyesight, it's a pain to watch a little TV. But, I don't watch it very often, except for weather and CNN.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: