Sound problems

Old 11-27-04, 07:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sound problems

I have a new Toshiba TV and a Toshiba DVD player. The TV is equipped with surround sound capability. The "sound problem" occurs when watching some (not all) DVD movies. The problem is the sound control must be adjusted up near the maximum level to hear the voice audio but when the background music is played.....it is WAY TOO LOUD.

I have attempted to turn the surround sound off/on to see if that resolves the problem......At times it is "better" but not good.

Would adding wireless surround sound speakers help resolve this problem or is there something else going on here?

Old 11-28-04, 08:49 AM
B
Too many DVDs are produced that way. Its not your systems fault, it is what it is.

You cannot get true surround sound with only a couple speakers. You need 6 or more speakers. What you have is a simulated surround sound system.
Why is this distinction matter? With a true surround sound system, you can adjust the center channel volume up and turn the other channels down. I do this on my system. The center channel carries the bulk of the dialog. The main speakers carry the bulk of the music.

I have a very low opinion of wireless speakers. But they will not help much in your case. You can get the same effect by sitting closer to the TV. You get the same sound from them you get from the tv speakers.

Old 11-28-04, 09:07 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not only do you need more speakers, you need a surround sound processor too - like a surround sound receiver. Depending on how good of a receiver you buy (I prefer Denon - at least the AVR-2105 or better), you can adjust the levels of each speaker independently.

Like Bob, I typically pump up the Center channel and lower the fronts until all aspects are comfortable.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: