HT Wiring Finished Basement

Old 11-28-04, 04:28 PM
jameskane
Visiting Guest
HT Wiring Finished Basement

Hi...I purchased a house, and the basement is finished. I am interested in adding HT wiring inside the walls.

The problem I am having is the bedrooms are above the basement, so there is really no access to 3 of the walls from above (the ceiling is sheetrocked). The one wall i have access to butts up to the laundry room (easy enough).

Is my only solution to (gulp) start cutting sheetrock? If it comes to that, then I guess I'd just rather live with the wires on the floor.

Any help is appreciated!

James

Old 11-28-04, 06:46 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You don't have a lot of options for running wires in an existing/finished basement - there's no "attic" space and there's no crawlspace. So, you have to run the wires in the room itself - if everything's sheetrocked, about the only option you have is to, as you said, cut the sheetrock. Or, you may like this option better, pull the molding off and run the wires behind it.

You'd be surprised just how much space is hidden behind your molding - you could run plenty of wire for speakers and other electronics behind there.

You may also be interested in a product called WireMold - it is essentially a track for your wires that goes in behind the molding. There are several products out there that are similiar to WireMold, you should be able to find them online.

You may also want to take a look at this recent thread that is very similar to your question here.

Good luck! Let us know if we can help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: