adding stereo speakers to a large basement

Old 12-01-04, 07:06 PM
sskeep
Visiting Guest
adding stereo speakers to a large basement

I am finishing off my basement and am looking to install ceiling speakers through out. (not surround sound, just music speakers) The speakers I am considering are stereo speakers (each speaker plays both the left and right channel). Since each speaker plays both channels I believe that I need to run 2 pairs of wires to each speaker, one pair for the left channel and one pair for the right channel. My goal is to install 4 of these speakers, which means that I need to run a total of 8 pairs of wires and this equates to 4 sets of speakers. My question is how do I run 4 sets of speakers off of one receiver? The receivers that I have been looking at are usually set up to run 2 sets of speakers A and B?

Thanks for any and all help! Darryl :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 07:54 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
As far as I understood you have stereo speakers disigned for small rooms (like bathrooms) to have stereo sound from one speaker. In your case if you connect them regular way stereo effect will be lost. And also you may ran into impedance problem trying to connect into series. I see only one way to connect - use each of your stereo speakers as mono. If you describe the panel on your speakers (how many connectors and how they marked) I'd try to make a wiring chart for you. You can post private message for me if you want.
Vic

Old 12-03-04, 09:22 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a/b speakers

Unless things have changed over the years if your reciever has A and B it means that A will run one set of speakers and B will run another set for a total of 4.So if you set the selector switch to Aand B all four speakers will work.

Old 12-14-04, 04:49 PM
MacRPM
Visiting Guest
you may have already started, sorry

The speakers you are considering are called a dual coac double tweeter, these are mainly use in bathrooms like the thread suggest. My question is why? They will not give you more sound power as a single.

If you do decide to go this route run 16/4 to each speaker, then get a nice selector box (that will impeedence match, toy can connect your speakers to the selector box then A or Main out of your reciever to selector box. Good luck!