DVD Burner purchase

Old 12-10-04, 07:46 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DVD Burner purchase

I have a bunch of VHS tapes i would like to transfer to DVD. Can you recommend a unit that will accomplish this easily. I've been looking at the HP DVD Movie writer DC 3000 & DC 4000, but have heard some bad reviews on these units. All suggestions are appreciated.

Old 12-10-04, 05:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 173 Upvotes on 135 Posts
Pretty much any DVD writer will do the job. Think I paid about $80 for my no-name drive and have had no problems. You will also need a capture device to convert the tape to digital format for burning and an editing program (usually included with the capture device). A dedicated VCR that you can park next to the computer is also better than relocating one every time you want to do a conversion. I've been using an AdsTech DVD Express with good results, but there are dozens of devices that will do the work. Word of caution - this is time-consuming and sometimes tedious work. My setup is AMD 1.2 GHz/512mb memory and I would rate that as minimum. You will also need LOTS of harddrive space. Going to be upgrading after Christmas.

Here's a really good info site:

http://www.videohelp.com/

It's not really as complicated as it may sometimes appear.

Old 12-10-04, 06:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why I ask??

VHS to DVD, still crummy old VHS quality recordings. (the dvd will NOT improve quality)

As mentioned above, very time consuming.
As long as VCRs are manufactured, why bother. A new vcr is a few bucks.

finally,
My first vhs tapes (as in Michael Jordan is a junior at NC, or the first space shuttle launch), still replay fine with no noticed degradation.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: