right connection??

Old 12-31-04, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
right connection??

I am connecting a Tv,Dvd recorder and home theater receiver.I have the cable line coming into the Dvd.1 cable line from dvd to TV.I have s-video line from dvd to audio receiver.I have a s-video line from receiver to tv.I have opitical audio line from dvd to receiver.I have rca connecters from tv audio out to receiver.Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 07:36 PM
It'll work that way, but all

you really need to play DVD's is S-Video from DVD player directly to TV. Optical cable from DVD to reciever. Select S-video input on TV. Select DVD on reciever, your audio comes in over the optical cable (highest quality sound) and your video is going directly to the TV. (Very good picture, Digital followed by Component Video is the best).

The RCA from the TV to the Reciever will let you listen through the reciver to what is on the TV, but only in 2 channel stereo.

You can run the S-video to the reciever, but when you select DVD on it it simply sends that input to the TV. This can be useful if your TV is short on inputs....you can use the reciever to switch between inputs there as needed.
**Note: Most receivers can't convert video sources, if it comes in on S-video then it goes out on S-video. Comes in on RCA, leaves on RCA.** You still need to tell the TV to switch to the S-video input though.

Which input would you like to record from onto the DVD?? That's the only thing that I see missing. You can play back fine, but what do you want to record??

Last edited by Desy2820; 12-31-04 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Mis-read post
Old 01-01-05, 09:51 AM
I record Tv Programs.On the recorder menu you click on record then choose Tv then fill in the info for time recording.I have a vcr hooked up to it and record old vhs tapes.I also run a line from my camcorder to the front of the unit and burn my film on a dvd.

Old 01-01-05, 10:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This really comes down to which receiver you have and what it's capable of - as was mentioned, most receivers will not convert a/v signals, so what comes in, must go out. However, there are many exceptions to this rule - mostly in higher-end receivers. If you have a < $500 receiver, it's unlikely you have conversion.

That being said, you do have an a/v switching receiver - meaning that it switches not only audio, but video also. That being the case, you'll want to use it for all of your a/v switching - and use the record out for recording.

So, for video, everything needs to go to the receiver first (same for audio, but that's obvious.) Use the highest grade of cable that your TV supports (highest being Component - RGB - video, S-Video, then Composite - single RCA - video.) If you do not have an HDTV, then you won't have Component and you'll want to use S-Vid (which you already mentioned you have.) So, simply put: S-Vid from DVD to Rec > S-Vid from Rec to TV > S-Vid from Rec Out to DVD Rec In.

Audio - very simply, optical where you can (DVD to Rec - Rec Out to DVD are the 2 most important) and if you want the TV to have audio, you need audio out on the Receiver to the TV's in (however, you're probably better off without TV audio if you have a 5.1 or better receiver.)

That should do it. Now when you want to change sources, you're only pressing one button for audio and video.

Tell me what model of receiver you have and I'll research it for up-converting of audio/video signals.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-05, 10:51 AM
My unit is RCA model Rt2500.It is a home theater in a box and not real expensive.Right now I have the s-video cable running from the dvd to the receiver and a s-video cable running from the dvd to theTv.I only have 1 s-video out on the receiver and it says mon. out.I have another s-video on receiver but it says for SAT.

Old 01-01-05, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds like you have everything connected properly - but it doesn't sound like that receiver is going to do any conversions.