swap SANYO picture tubes?

Old 01-04-05, 02:13 PM
doitcbw
Visiting Guest
swap SANYO picture tubes?

My old SANYO model AVM-2754 television picture tube just went out. (The TV plays sound but only displays a white horizonal line against a black background, even when using the tuner in the attached VCR.) Since it is very similar to my SANYO AVM-2504 (which sits unused in the guest room because it lacks stereo speakers and it lacks Audio/Video Inputs for my DVD player) can I simply swap the good tube from the AVM-2504 into the chassis of the AVM-2754? The AVM-2504 chassis is G3M-25401 and the AVM-2754 chassis is G37-27560

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-05, 04:15 PM
melwats
Visiting Guest
Sanyo

Your problem is not the picture tube! The single white line only indicates that you have lost vertical deflection which is probably caused by a failure of the vertical IC. Just because both sets are Sanyos, doesn't necessarily mean that the CRTs are interchangable and even if they are, it is not as simple as just swapping them out. Color picture tubes have to be set up for purity, convergence, focus and brightness and you need proper test equipment to accomplish this properly.

Old 01-05-05, 11:14 AM
doitcbw
Visiting Guest
Vertical IC

Thanks for the reply. What does the IC in vertical IC stand for? Can I get a replacement at my local electronics store?

Old 01-05-05, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intigrated circuit

basically just means a chip

Old 01-05-05, 03:49 PM
melwats
Visiting Guest
Vertical IC

If your local electronics parts house carries SAMS Photofacts, you can look up number 3466 to get the part number and location of the IC. The ICs are a common item and should be stocked by your dealer. If they do not carry SAMS, you can go to www.samswebsite.com and download the Photofact for $20. You should also replace the electrolytic capacitors in the vertical circuit because they are a high failure rate item and often are the cause of the IC failure.

Old 01-10-05, 10:48 AM
doitcbw
Visiting Guest
Thanks a bunch, melwats. If I can replace this part for small change and get a few more years' wear out of the ol' SANYO, it'll spare me from having to part with a whole lotta cash for some newfangled widescreen LCD which at this point in time I am not yet ready to do so.

Old 05-31-09, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Make sure the TV is not in service mode. It is a little switch on the picture tube PCB. Careful of high voltage! Service mode turns the pic to a single Horizontal line that can be white if the colors are out of adjustment. I is used for H convergence.

Old 05-31-09, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just to note...4 1/2 y/o post....

Old 05-31-09, 05:16 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
old post

Ditto in twenty five characters or more