Theater Research 1610 And 1611 Speaker System

Old 01-05-05, 09:00 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
Question Theater Research 1610 And 1611 Speaker System

Hi, Have anybody own or had experience with THEATER RESEARCH 1610/1611 SPEAKER SYSTEM. The manufacturer claims they have very good quality.
I'm sure they are not Hi-End(based on price) but...
I'd like to know if quality acceptable (is at least as per specs) comparing to Infinity Primus 360 as an example?

Also anyone know tall (5-6 feet tall) good quality floorstanding speakers in price range $500 - $700?

Thank you all!

Old 01-15-05, 03:00 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Axiom and Rocket (despite their silly name) are highly regarded speakers in your range that are available online. I like Paradigms personally, though they can get pricey.

Keep in mind floorstanding speakers will typically not sound as good as 2 bookshelves and a sub. This is mainly becasue the best position for your subwoofers is typically not in front of the listener. FS speakers do look cool though. I bought floorstanders myself before I found out about this, and would do bookshelves + sub if I could do it again. I consider the extra money I spent on the bigger speakers mostly a waste.

Old 01-19-05, 07:44 AM
okl62
Visiting Guest
Thank you, Stereoguy. I'd like to have good sound but I don't want to waste money...
I have Infinity sw12 500W Sub already. What would be better I buy floor standing speakers (like Axiom M60it tower or Polk Rti10/12) OR good quality shelf speakers. Is it wasting money to have FS and having Sub? If there is no significant difference in sound quality then the only advantage of having floor standing is the way they look (they really look cool)
What do you think?
Thank you.

Old 01-21-05, 11:10 AM
S
I think if you buy floorstanders you are mostly paying for them to look cool. The ones I've got are about 100-150 lbs each, and have the added benefit of being to heavy for my kids and dogs to easily knock over.

There is more value for your money in bookshelves + a sub, and you also get the benefit of being able to position your bass driver in it optimal location (which is almost never where your main speakers will be).

For $500+ I would defanitly recommend getting out of the Circuit City/Best Buy speakers and into a higher end shop. For internet only speakers I'd probalby ge tthe rockets (www.av123.com). They are highly regarded and look very nice.

You could get the bookshelf version of what I'm running now in your budget - the Paradigm Studio 20. I would go to a hifi shop with some music/movies you are familiar with and start listening to different models.

Old 01-21-05, 01:24 PM
okl62
Visiting Guest
Thank you. Now I got the idea. I'm not ready for Hi End now - I'll probably start with Kappa 200 or RTi6...
Thanks for good links

Old 01-21-05, 03:32 PM
S
If your budget is $500-700 for a pair, you are ready for high end gear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: