Installing F connectors to RG6/RG59

Old 01-11-05, 04:07 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing F connectors to RG6/RG59

Does anyone have a technique for attaching F-connectors to RG6 or RG59 cables? I've picked up these connectors from Radio Shack and am having the hardest time trying to stuff the cable into the connector so that the dielectric is flush at the front end with the inside of the connector.

Old 01-11-05, 04:28 PM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I googled for "how to" and F-connectors and came up with this:
http://pages.cthome.net/fmdx/coax.html
skip the solder step, Im sure you dont have a stranded center conductor

Old 01-11-05, 05:17 PM
D
Thanks for the reply. My crimp-on connectors don't have a separate ring. The challenge is trying to stuff about 1/2" of coax into the connector. At the same time, the inner sleeve of the connector has to go between the dielectric and braiding. It's a bear. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 01-11-05, 06:24 PM
K
Then I'm guessing you are using RG-59 connectors with RG-6 cable.
Its normally pretty easy, if you match them.

Old 01-11-05, 06:46 PM
S
First of all, make absolutely sure you have RG-6 connectors and RG-6 coax (or RG-59 and RG-59.)
Secondly, make sure you are stripping the coax properly (and using the correct tool - not all strippers are the same!!!)
Thirdly, you don't have to get all of the shielding/braiding outside the center core - some of it can go inside, mostly aluminum shielding. Get as little braiding as possible. The most important part is to make sure you have the connector all the way on and that there is no shielding or braiding shorting to the center of the coax.

If all else fails, get an F-connector "pusher". I posted a picture of one in a recent thread very similar to this one. You can get one pretty much anywhere that has the connectors (RS, HD, Lowes, etc.)

Good luck!

Old 01-12-05, 04:34 PM
G
Im not sure if you did this yet or not but make sure the cable says RG6 and not RG6QS because if it says QS on it is the RG6 ends WILL NOT WORK.

Old 01-12-05, 11:01 PM
D
Thanks for the replys. I have both RG6 Quad Shield cables and RG59 cables. Am using the RG6QS connector for the Quad Shield. Was not able to find picture of the "Pusher". Will check the home centers this weekend.

Old 01-13-05, 03:34 AM
G
here you go this is a great tool and you can get it at your nearest radioshack just print this out and bring it into your nearest shack or you can order if you would like

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=278-480

Old 01-14-05, 07:56 PM
S
That's the one. There's a bulb-type also - the nice thing about it is that you don't have to screw the F connectors onto the pusher in order to put them on.

Either will work just fine.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: