AM radio thru my Home Theater Subwoofer

Old 01-18-05, 01:39 PM
frosteeone
Visiting Guest
AM radio thru my Home Theater Subwoofer

When I turn off the rest of my stereo system, I have to manually shut off my subwoofer too because I can hear a high watt local AM radio station playing thru it. (I can even hear it when everything else it son if I have the sound down low enough).

Is there any way to prevent that?

Old 01-18-05, 07:05 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add some extra wire between your sub and receiver - it may be acting as an antenna and picking up some station that way.

Lower the crossover frequency on the sub - that may help. You shouldn't be hearing anything from the sub but low frequency anyway.

Try a different cable. If you are using a cheap RCA cable - or, worse, speaker wire - then try a higher grade cable. If you are using speaker wire, try a composite RCA cable on the low-level in (if available.)

If your receiver has a switched outlet, plug the sub in there and it will turn on and off with the receiver.

Sounds like it may be a cabling issue though - or the receiver is just leaking AM signal (my mid-grade receiver does this with FM, but I think that has to do with the dual-zoning on the system.)

Good luck!

Old 01-18-05, 11:41 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have a grounding issue at the outlet your sub is plugged in at. Grab an extension cord and try plugging it in at other locations.

Old 01-19-05, 06:12 AM
frosteeone
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help, I'll try these suggestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: