Triac and SCR'S

Old 01-19-05, 12:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Triac and SCR'S

How do you tell the difference between a Traic and SCR. I could be mistaken but I thought that SCR's had 2 legs and Traic had 3 legs, please correct me if Im wrong. I have a part number of what I believe is a SCR, but Im not sure if it a scr or a traic, the part number is (fmpg12), I have a tester to test it but I have no clue what it is. So if anyone knows please help thanks Matt

Old 01-19-05, 09:37 AM
D
Accroding to a quick NTE cross-reference

search, you may have an FMPG12S, if this is it, then it's a General Purpose Silicon Rectifier....this crosses to an NTE581 part.

Here's the NTE website: http://nte01.nteinc.com/nte/NTExRefSemiProd.nsf/$$Search?OpenForm

And here's the result of searching for " FMPG12* " www.nteinc.com/specs/500to599/pdf/nte581.pdf

There are several other similair web sites out there, but NTE is very popular.

As far as I can tell, both devices can have 2 or 3 terminals, most schematics show 3 for both. I think the only way to be sure is to identify the device.

Hope this helped!

Old 01-19-05, 02:47 PM
G
Wow that is a very informative web site, thanks alot. I just checked the piece again and the only thing on it fmpg12 and it comes out of a Samsung Tv/Vcr combo unit in its power supply and is located near 3 330uf 25v caps and near a huge transformer. I desoldered it and tested on my compent tester which can test Transistors, SRC, Diodes, Cont, Traic, so here in lyes the problem When I try to test it as a SRC it says bad but when i test it as a Diode it says it's anode is pnp, and to my knowlege a Traic is a diode ( I could be wrong) So I dont know if it is good or bad because I cant test it properly

Old 01-20-05, 08:25 AM
D
If we correctly identified the part

then it's a special type of standard diode used in switching power supplies.... (the fast recovery implies that). If you're can't determine if it's good or not and it's not too expensive (I didn't check prices), I'd replace it just to rule it out. Otherwise, you'll probably need to keep testing and checking!

Good Luck!

Old 01-21-05, 08:34 AM
G
Ok I just called the local parts store, and might I add what seems to be the ONLY parts store in my area and gave them my part number and it came up with fmpg12s and the owner said it is the same as fmpg12, does that seem right to you guys? Well anyways it crossed to 581 which is the same number that Desy2820 found on NTE's website, thanks alot man, I hope that this local guy here is right, but now here is the other problem he is only open 10am to 12pm WOW I wish I had job

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: