Dual Speaker Output...Bass Channel?

Old 01-28-05, 06:59 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dual Speaker Output...Bass Channel?

People,

I recently threw out my AKAI bookshelf stereo system (after the CD changer malfunctioned & wrecked a few CD's) ...but I kept the speakers. I was going to give those to a friend, but then realized they had connections for a bass channel?

There is the typical 2-conductor speaker wire out of the back (of the speakers themselves), but also an RCA plug, which I believe I remember going to a jack labeled "Woofer", or "Subwoofer"?

On a typical system with a 2-conductor output, how could my friend utilize the speakers (or can he at all)?

Thanks,

mark4man

Old 02-09-05, 09:14 AM
B
Are the wires "hard-wired" to the speakers or do they attach with clips? If clips, then just buy new speaker wire. If "hard-wired", then you can cut and strip the ends - watch the plus and negative.

But - why bother? Those are very cheap speakers. You can get better speakers for about $20/pr on sale.

Old 02-09-05, 03:54 PM
S
One of the drivers in those speakers may have been powered seperately from the rest by the original system. If your friend really wants to use them, just ignore the RCA jack. He could pop them open and make sure all the drivers are wired to the regular speaker wire, but you run the risk of ohmage issues.

Old 02-09-05, 04:17 PM
M
BobF & stereoguy,

Thanks very much.

mark4man

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: