Strange whistling sound from TV

Old 03-06-05, 03:19 PM
Jon Read
Visiting Guest
Strange whistling sound from TV

I have just bought a refurbished TV from the net and for some reason it gives off a high pitch whistle style noise that changes in pitch depending what is on screen. It is coming from the area where the power lead goes in to the TV (around that area). The weird thing is though when the TV is blank with the menu, it is okay, but start putting a picture through it and the noise starts. I have tried gently tapping it but nothing changes. Could this be normal ? Do some TVs make a noise naturally ? I have never known any to.

I am willing to open it up and have a look myself, as I chucked the box without trying the TV, which I am kicking myself for, so it looks like I would have to pay to return it anyway (I am only guessing, but would make sense given I didn't keep all packaging).

I read an older article here where someone had a similar problem, they were told it is likely to be a transformer. Does this sound the case here ? If so what can I do to DIY fix it ?

I live in the UK, and have a UK Sharp 28" widescreen TV with Real Flat screen. Any help is much appreciated, thanks Oh and how much (on average) would getting it fixed at a local shop cost ?

Thanks all !!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-05, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-26-05 at 08:09 AM.