Splitting Cable from Time Warner

Old 03-17-05, 08:47 AM
eeinworks8
Visiting Guest
Splitting Cable from Time Warner

Currently, I have cable running to about 22 rooms. I didn't wire the house so from what I see it is split in random places many times, and there are a couple amplifiers and booters. The cable works well in about 14 of the rooms and is really fuzzy in the rest. I would like to rewire the entire house and I don't know the best way to do it. Should I use splitters and amplifiers, splitters and boosters, and where do the amplifiers or boosters go, before or after the cable is split? Right now we have analog cable through Time Warner.

Also, I am thinking about upgrading to digital cable and I was wondering would I have to use different splitters and boosters for digital cable vs. analog cable??

Brandon

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-05, 09:54 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-26-05 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-17-05, 11:04 AM
eeinworks8
Visiting Guest
I made a layout of my house and how I might hook everything up. I do have a cable modem now, but it works fine, about 3.5Mbs. Should I use a amplifier, larger splitter, a powered spliter, or is it ok. I am splitting the cost with about 20 people so cost isn't that big of a deal. I plan on using RB6 cable and terminators.

Here is a layout of my house:

http://www.geocities.com/[email protected]/house.jpg

Old 03-18-05, 08:06 AM
eeinworks8
Visiting Guest
I will most likely put a amplifier on the main line before anything is split. Does that mean then that I shouldn't use amplified spliters? What is the typical loss on amplified spliters? If I use regular splitters are there any difference between brands?

Old 03-18-05, 10:27 AM
K
--------------------

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-26-05 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 11:10 AM
eeinworks8
Visiting Guest
Maybe you could explain to me how I am stealing cable?????? I called the cable company and they said that the way we are setup is perfectly legal. Then she told me that road runner was available in my area and then signed me up for it. If I was stealing cable or if it was illegal I think she probably would have said something to me.

Last edited by eeinworks8; 03-18-05 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-18-05, 11:28 AM
A
Assuming this is not stealing in your state (only now that it would be in any of the states I've lived in)...

You may not want to go through the hassle if you are planning on upgrading to digital any time soon. Digital cable will have to have a seperate set top decoder for each TV unless you want to watch the same thing on them all. At +/- $5 per month each your cable bill will get real high real fast!

Or you can always buy your own & hack them but this most definitely is stealing in any of our 50 great states.

Old 03-18-05, 11:40 AM
eeinworks8
Visiting Guest
Is there a limit to how many times you can split the cable?? I guess I just don't understand what makes what I am doing illegal. Can you explain.

Old 03-18-05, 12:08 PM
A
If you have it I would suggest checking your contract with TW (probably on the back of the work order you signed for the installer).

Even if your state's laws do not regulate this the contract could.