Wiring Options

Old 03-20-05, 04:34 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Options

Hi guys,

I just bought a new co-op and the old owner only had cable in 1 room, and only 1 phone jack. I need to run three more cable lines and another phone jack. The only problem is that I have no attic or basement access, so a wall fish is out of the question. I plan to run it along the baseboards, or even tuck it under if possible. The wall in the living room, where I plan to put my new HD big screen, is the major challenge. There is a hallway opening that I have to cross in order to get the cable to that wall. I don't want the wire exposed so running it up and across the archway is out of the question. I am getting a new rug, so someone suggested I run the cable acrtoss the floor before the rug is put down. My only concern is that after a few months that I'll get a "bump" under the rug where the cable is. Do I have any other possibilities?

I also plan to run speaker wire across a room, but once again I can not wall fish. Since speaker wire is siginificantly smaller than RG6, I don't forsee a problem putting it under a rug.

PS: I know Cablevision isn't as good as satellite, but I work for them so I get digital cable, VoIP and High speed data for free.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-05, 06:31 PM
D
I haven't done this myself, but

I have heard that you can remove the baseboard, cut the drywall if needed, run your cables (speaker, RG-6, telephone), and *carefully* replace the baseboard...you may be able to do the same for the door trim, but the door trim is usually tough to remove.

Another option might be along where the ceiling and walls meet, if you have or are willing to install some crown molding, same idea, tuck the cables behing the molding and install it. You'd see the cables going up the wall to the ceiling, but using white cables may help. I know that Monster Cable makes some paintable speaker cables.

If you're installing carpet, you may be able to cut a notch in the padding under it to create a channel for your cables, without the carpet showing a lump afterward.

One last idea...for the RG-6 and telephone, if these are exterior walls, could you drill to the outside, run the cables and drill back to the inside? Another idea might be a product called "Wiremold". They make channels that mount to the walls and cover up all of the wires inside, they have speciality items such as inside and outside corners, shallow boxes for cover plates, and end caps, you may be able to paint this to blend in better.

Hope this helped!

Old 03-20-05, 06:36 PM
M
I'm a stickler, I hate exposed wiring. Moving the baseboard is a definite option. I think I solved my under carpet situation. Since I'm running the RG6 across the floor where there is a doorway, I can put a threshold in. I'm not crazy about the idea so here is what I will do. When the old carpet gets ripped up, I am going to use a router to create a channel in the flooring below and place the cable in that. Then I will cover it with the new carpet.

Thanks for your help. I'll probably remove the baseboards and then replace them.

Old 03-21-05, 05:01 PM
B
If you even think about cutting a groove in hardwood flooring, my all your antennae fall off

Provided its not hardwood, then be very carful so you don't hit a nail or screw.

Old 03-21-05, 06:15 PM
M
If it was hardwood, I wouldn't be putting down carpet. I know something. Trust me, anything I do is going to be better than the "contracted" install techs.