record player blues

Old 03-29-05, 11:35 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question record player blues

Hi everyone.
Here's my problem: I have a record player that puts out only a small amount of sound, no matter what I hook it up to, the sound level is super quiet. Could this be the needle? This record player only has rca outputs, and supposedly is grounded through them. I need help!

Old 03-29-05, 03:17 PM
D
First, are you using the

phono inputs on your reciever/amp? Record players have a much lower signal than standard devices such as CD players, etc....especially any record player that uses a "crystal" type needle, magnetic types have a much stronger signal.

Phono Inputs also compensate for the record player's sound, a record player doesn't have a flat frequency output and the input automatically corrects for that. ( Search for "RIAA" equalizing or something close to that).

If your amp doesn't have a dedicated input for a record player, you may be able to get something at a local electronics store that will allow you to connect the record player to a standard input....I'll run a search a little later and see what I can find.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-30-05, 11:09 AM
J
About the inputs. no, they're not for phono, they are actually the audio inputs for the vcr. I have plugged a cd player into them and it works fine. I also tried hooking it (the phono) up to an older stereo's "aux" inputs, and i got the same results, really quiet, tinny sound. I was actually thinking that it may be that I need a dedicated phono input to boost the signal, but wasn't sure. It is a crystal needle. Thank you for any more help you can give.

Old 03-30-05, 04:52 PM
D
What you need is a

"phono pre-amp". I've found a couple on-line, but they're not cheap. Here are some examples of what I've found: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...=phono+pre-amp You'd probably need the more expensive one due to the crystal pick-up and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...=245-035...but this one specifies magnetic pick-ups only.

Radio Shack has a new record player that has the pre-amp built-in. It will connect directly to your stereo. Here it is: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-7012

If you have a high-quality older record player, I'd keep it and find a pre-amp to use with it. Is it an option to replace/upgrade the amp part of your set-up to one that has phono inputs?

Old 03-31-05, 12:07 PM
bobrod
Visiting Guest
Post Re:

I have an older turntable that has the same problem. I need to crank the volume to hear it.

I am in the market for a new, stronger turntable, but my main problem is that I can't find a turntable that plays multiple records. I'm assuming that there are no modern models with this feature. I used to love stacking three or four records at a time, let them play, then flip them all over. Anyone know of any place I can find a new turntable I can hook up to my stereo system that stacks records?

Old 03-31-05, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
For jeastith's problem I believe the new turntable from Radio Shack might be the most practical option.
I remember a few years ago when the phono inputs were eliminated from amps and recievers, Radio Shack had a small phono preamp I think sold for around $30.00 CDN. Back then it would have probably been only $5 US

bobrod's solution may be found at a garage sale or flea market.
A few years ago a very old lady showed up at my mother-in-law's door with her health care aid.
She said she was my deceased father in law's music teacher, and had his 78 rpm records from a talent show he entered in 1949!
I took it upon myself to record these onto cd and make a compilation of these records and some cassettes he had later recorded.
Needing a wide guage needle to properly track the 78 record's grooves, I stumbled on a mint condition BSR changer from the sixties and got it for ten bucks.
I was able to feed the ceramic cartridge to the phono input on my late seventies pre-amp and the volume was fine.
The fellow that sold me the turntable was also selling a reel to reel and an 8 track recorder, all looking as new.
I'm sure if you look or put out the word if you're not the flea market type you should be able to come up with something.

And naw, I'm sorry, I won't sell you mine.

Old 04-01-05, 06:32 AM
J
Thanx for the advice.

It turns out that this is a pretty common problem, and I read all about it just in e-bay. I just need to get a relatively cheap ($30-40) pre-amp. I'm not too concerned about sound quality issues, the system I'm using is not designed for audiophiles, that's for sure. I just want to be able to hear my records! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: