TiVo Subscriptions

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-05, 06:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TiVo Subscriptions

My wife got me a TiVo for my birthday. I've wanted one for a while, but couldn't justify $12.99/month or $300/lifetime for their subscription service (it's hard enough for me to justify the $40/month cable bill).

I have not been able to find a real answer from TiVo's website as to what *exactly* I gain from the subscription. Can I use it without the subscription? If so, what do I miss out on?

Without the subscription, would I still be able to set it to record a show, then come in when the show is halfway over and watch it from the beginning?

Thanks for any advise!

Old 04-04-05, 06:56 AM
K
my understanding is that with the models that are currently being sold, is that it is a doorstop without the subscription.

I suggest you search the internet for a better TiVo forum, since I'm not allowed to point you there myself.

Last edited by kuhurdler; 04-07-05 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-04-05, 07:51 AM
B
Do try the link KU provided. Why buy TIVO if you aren't getting a subscription?
You may want to take the TIVO back and rent a DVR from your cable provider.

Old 04-04-05, 08:24 AM
C
That's why I never bought it...I can't justify the expense...We've got a baby on the way and need to replace a vehicle. Entertainment is LOW on the budget. Hence, rented equipment would put me in the same boat...I like to keep my money for important things. Being able to watch Andy Griffith at 4am isn't that big a priority. lol

Since my wife already bought the TiVo for me, I am just trying to figure out what the subscription gives me. In other words, I *have* this piece of hardware...I'm trying to figure out if it can be used independant of the subscription...She got a nice deal on the unit, of course, that's because they know you'll buy a subscription.

TiVo themselves doesn't ever tell you either way whether it works without the sub. They just list getting the subscription as a step in the setup...well, duh! They want my money.

I'll dig around on the TiVo forums. I'm sure the question has been asked 345,875 times before there.

Old 04-04-05, 08:46 AM
K
Posts that are off the topic of discussion in the DoItYourself.com Community Forums are not allowed. Posts that interject non beneficial generic conversational communications, contain jokes, and/or sarcasm are prohibited.

DoItYourself.com Community Forum posts should be courteous, polite and make a positive contribution to the topics discussion.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-07-05 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Off topic post
Old 04-04-05, 03:16 PM
S
You could switch to Directv and get a 2 tuner Tivo for around $4/month.

Last edited by majakdragon; 04-05-05 at 07:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: