Volume Control for Individual Speakers


Old 04-07-05, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: WI/MN
Posts: 19,290
Received 44 Votes on 41 Posts
Volume Control for Individual Speakers

I am installing speakers in my wife's office. Ceiling mounted speakers, one in each room. Three of the rooms need the volume to be controlled in the room, rather than just at the receiver. I originally bought single pole light dimmers, but was told they will not work. They were $4 at a home center with the only other option being $35. The employee with whom I spoke was trying to help, but admitted not being knowledgable. He suggested the light dimmers saying the $35 switch was intended to control a whole set of speakers, not just one.

If I have to spend $105 + tax, I will. However, I'm cheap and would like to get by spending less, if possible. What is the part I should be buying and where will I find it?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-05, 05:23 AM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,948
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts

What you need are called L Pads.
They are potentiometers that would be available at stores that sell pa amplifiers or even Radio Shack.
In addition to the one shown in the above link they have a ganged pair for stereo.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title: