Home Theatre / Music Room Install

Old 06-02-05, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Home Theatre / Music Room Install

Hello and thanks for any replies in advance.

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I have a dedicated media room and a game room that I plan to use as a music room of sorts. Here are all the components I will be using and then I will pose my question...

1. Onkyo 1000 watt 6.1 home theatre system (For the media room but will also drive the sound in my game/music room.)
2. 4 - Klipsch B2 bookshelf loudspeakers and a Klipsch Sub-10 subwoofer. (Will be located in the game room.)
3. Custom built computer to house the 4000+ MP3 collection.
4. Panasonic DMR-ES30V DVD/VHS recorder/player.
5. Kenwood 6 disk CD player
6. Kenwood turntable (For all my old albums)
7. Panasonic PT-AE700 projector (Will throw a 110" picture.)
8. X-Box

My hopes are to build a kick-butt home theatre system so you can enjoy movies... But if nobody is watching a movie and wants to listen to music that you could switch the speakers from the theatre to the game room. The Onkyo system has an A/B speaker switch... "A" controls the theatre speakers and "B" can go out to the game room... BUT... The "B" speaker side only handles a pair of speakers... not the 5 speakers I need (4 speakers + Sub). THIS is my problem. I was thinking about building a simple switch box to swap the connections between the theatre and the game room. Can it be that easy? That way I could always leave the speaker selector on "A" and switch the speakers with the switch box.

I'm sure someone else out there has tackled this problem.... Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Old 06-03-05, 10:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I'm understanding your

post correctly, you'd like a 4-speaker setup in the game room and a 2 speaker setup in the music room? Or will both rooms be multi-channel systems?

If only 2 speakers in the music room, then why not consider reversing the equipment's positions? Put all the gear in the game room and just have the speakers in the music room...with a remote control extender system.

If multi-channel for both rooms, then I think you'll need 2 amps (one for each room). The problem would be dividing the incoming signals so you can feed both amps...and cabling between them...but I'm not sure how to do this part.

Trying to help!

Old 06-05-05, 02:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need a separate Dolby Digital amp for the game room speakers.

If I was you I would get two more B2s, and run the Klipsch in the media room with the Onkyo amp. Then get a cheap (Sherwood for $100 @ Circuit City) to run the Onkyo speakers in the game room. You will also need separate sources for each room.

This is the cheapest way to do this right. You won't be able to split your sources cleanly w/o spending alot more money.

Old 06-06-05, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't mean to sound dense... But why can't I just build a switch box to swap the speakers? (To answer the prior question... I have Dolby 6.1 in the media room and 4 Klipsch B2 bookshelf speakers + Subwoofer for the game room.)

I don't plan on running both at the same time. If someone is watching a movie then they won't be in the game room. (Or at least they will listening to the movie... Not music.) Conversely... If someone is listening to music... I won't need the media room speakers. I'd like to tie my computer into both... So I can store my music on it. I need to be able to use my computer as a jukebox of sorts for the game room (and surrounding bar) and I also need my computer to be able to play games and such in the media room... This would necessitate using one system instead of two. (Or I would have to disconnect the PC from one system and plug it into another.)

I appreciate the responses... What do you all think now... With more info as to my plans? I still think I should be able to build a simple switchbox since I won't be using the game room and media room speakers at the same time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: