in wall speaker wire

Old 06-29-05, 12:49 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
in wall speaker wire

While recently picking up some speaker wire for rear sourround speakers, I noticed it was labled "not for in wall use" Is this a new requirement, as I am not familiar with anyone ever running special wire when snaking audio wires behind the sheet rock? Thanks

Old 06-29-05, 09:42 PM
R
I think the in-wall rating has to do with flame retardance of the jacket... It doesn't conduct an open flame on its own to various parts of the structure. NEC does have several articles dealing with audio and video wiring if you want to do some research. Personally, I would not even think about placing any kind of wire or cable specifically labeled "Not for in wall use" within a wall.

Old 06-30-05, 08:05 PM
T
The "not for in wall use" could also have something to do with the wire coating deteriorating over time. Last year, I ran speaker wire in my unfinished basement. The sales rep at the audio/video store where I purchased my wire explained this. Is the speaker wire clear? The rep advised me to purchase wire with a white coating, which does stand up over time. You could always ask someone at a similar store for advice.

Old 07-01-05, 08:03 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by thehusker
You could always ask someone at a similar store for advice.
Unless he's trying to sell you Monster Cables. If he mentions Monster Cables, don't trust a single thing he says. The commisions are so high on those things, the clerks will lie, cheat and steal to make a sale.

Your point is good, however. Wire with a PVC jacket will be much more durable over time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: