Speaker Wire Through Metal Studs

Old 08-16-05, 01:10 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Speaker Wire Through Metal Studs

Hello everyone,
I'm putting a workout room in my basement and I wasn't originally planning on doing this, but I'm thinking about running some speaker wire through the studs and setting up speaker mounts. Sounds easy enough, but I'm using metal studs for all the framing and I wondering how much of any issue this will create for me. Any suggestions on the best way to run speaker wire through the metal studs? Is there a particular type of shielded wire that will work or should I think about using some type of conduit? Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-05, 01:45 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I believe you are supposed to put a bushing in the hole in a metal stud to run wires through it.

Old 08-16-05, 07:03 PM
B
Yep, just put a plastic bushing in each stud and run the wire thru the bushing. Otherwise, the stud will damage the wires.

BTW - you also need the bushings to protect the electric wires.

Old 08-16-05, 09:18 PM
P
I was more worried about sound interference from the metal vs wood studs but it sounds like this may not be as much of an issue as I thought.

Thanks for the replies

Old 08-31-05, 08:22 PM
The bushings should help mask or insulate the speaker wires from interferrence. Just don't run the electric wires through the same openings as the speakers. I believe electrical codes require outlets to be about 18" off the floor, so running the electric low and the speakers high should give some good protection. If you have to run the speakers near the electrical, such as for a switch to an overhead lamp, you might want to wrap some electrical tape around bother sets of wires. It may not reduce the interference, but it will help prevent any cross shorts.