27" Sharp TV dead

Old 10-02-00, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We moved last week, and when we were connecting our bedroom 27" Sharp TV to the DSS, the picture was horrible. Looked as if there was major electrical interference or something of that nature. Shut the TV off to check the connections and then couldn't get it to come back on. Hooked up a different TV and that works fine. Any ideas on what's wrong with the Sharp? It's 9 yrs. old, stereo TV, no problems at all to this point.

Old 10-02-00, 01:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Good Afternoon, janedo1586:
Interesting story. When you encountered the electrical interference in the picture, I would assume these were flashes across the screen. Question: Were the flashes running left to right horizontally or up and down vertically?

Second question: The set would not come on? Does this mean total black picture tube and absolutely no sound from the speakers.

These points will help in the evaluation of the problem.

Smokey

Old 10-02-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
<<Question: Were the flashes running left to right horizontally or up and down vertically?

Second question: The set would not come on? Does this mean total black picture tube and
absolutely no sound from the speakers.>>

1) It wasn't flashes...it was more like a really poor off-air network reception. You could just barely see the picture through the "snow" on the screen. Again, when we hooked up the second TV, the reception was fine.

2) Set would not come on means black tube -- no picture, no sound, no "click-hum" when I hit the power button. No response from buttons on TV or with remote.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 10-03-00, 06:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good Morning, janedo1586:
Thank you for the information. Based on what I see here, the first place I would look is around the channel selector area.
Snowy pictures tell me that the front end amplifier (RF Amplifier)was not functioning
to amplify the incoming signal to the set.

Second thought comes from the move of the set. Perhaps the set was jarred sufficiently in the move to cause a wire to come loose or a connector to come loose around the channel selector.

No sound and no black picture (TV is dead) supports this supposition in that the same connector or connection may provide part of the circuit for the IR (infra red) receiver for the remote control and the on/off switch circuitry.

In the old days, you had a hard contact switch on a television set like a light switch. Click! It turned on. These days, there is some rather sophisticated circuitry involved along with electronic switching.

The next obvious step is to get the back off the set and have a look. I don't foresee this as a serious failure nor a costly fix.
But, sitting a 1000 miles away and not being able to see the problem severely limits my troubleshooting capabilities.

Smokey

Old 10-03-00, 07:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the info, Smokey. Sounds like it would at least be worth a trip to the repair shop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: