Adding DirecTV DVR. Need Multiswitch?

Old 09-23-05, 01:41 AM
bluesky1guy
Visiting Guest
Adding DirecTV DVR. Need Multiswitch?

Adding a second receiver, and DirecTV wants to send me a technician for $49 to install it. The customer service (covert sales) staff is trying to convince me I need the help due to my lack of knowledge about a multiswitch.
My dish has 3 LNB's and I want to know if I already have an integrated multiswitch. If not, I can buy one right? Do these things need power?

I just don't get a good feeling from their phone talkers, and know I'll be happier with my own work...that is if it works.
Thanks guys...Mike

Old 09-23-05, 03:09 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How old is your dish? How many receivers are hooked up now? Your dish with three LNBs should have four leads available. You say this is your 2nd receiver. If you only have one hooked up now, shouldn't be a need for a multi-switch.

Old 09-23-05, 05:09 AM
bluesky1guy
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Right, 1 regular receiver (no DVR) which currently has 2 cables going to it. I don't know if it needs both of them (I'd guess not).
The dish is about 9 months old. I've only got 2 cables coming out of the dish. I'll examine it more closely this morning and see if there are connections up there for more. Maybe i can find a model number on the disk...that'll probably help.
I believe the new receiver requires 2 cables as it has the ability to tune 2 signals simultaneously.

Old 09-23-05, 12:39 PM
B
If you only have two leads, then you have an older dish. A new dish and receiver with installation is probably cheaper than a multi-switch, receiver, and installation. The new dish will have four leads coming out of it, plus will handle HD when you upgrade in a couple years.

Old 09-24-05, 05:01 PM
C
At only 9 months, I think it is what is called a Phase III dish, which has a built in 4 output multiswitch. To add a multiswitch, and get all satellites, you nedd to run all 4 outputs to a cascadeable 4 or 5 x8 multiswitch, which will be powered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: