How do I set switches and knobs on subwoofer?

Old 10-05-05, 03:17 AM
How do I set switches and knobs on subwoofer?

I have a Polk Audio subwoofer that's part of my surround sound system. It has two switches and two knobs on the back. One switch is a phase switch (0 down position to 180 up position I think it said) which I have no idea what it does. The other switch is for on and off of the speaker. One knob is for volume and the other is for cutoff frequency, I think. How do I set these switches to get the best sound from my subwoofer? (except for the on/off switch, which I know about) Any advice will be greatly appreciated. jcritchie

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 04:11 PM
The phase switch determines which way the speaker cone goes when it receives a positive signal. Rule of thumb 0 if the cone faces the listener, 180 if away (read the manual to be sure). The cutoff sets the highest frequency the sub will operate at, the volume its level.

Old 10-05-05, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the advice, classicsat. I set the phase switch to 0 because the speaker faces forward but I'm not sure how to set the cutoff knob. What number do you recommend I set it to? I don't have any manuals to advise me. Thanks in advance. jcritchie

Old 10-06-05, 06:07 AM
What is the model # on your sub, what is the make and model of your main speakers?

Old 10-06-05, 01:47 PM
O.K. They're : Subwoofer - PSW350, Main Speakers - DCM - DCM12 jcritchie

Old 10-06-05, 05:40 PM
The cutoff on the sub is only used if you are running other speakers to it first, ie) speaker wire for the mains run from the receiver to the sub and then from the sub to the speakers. Otherwise, the receiver (amp) will control it.

Only run other speakers to the sub if you are using the small cube speakers. If using bookshelf or floorstanding speakers, connect them directly to the amp.