DSS service at vacation home?

Old 10-12-05, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSS service at vacation home?

Can you set up a DSS dish at a second residence, and receive signal if you bring the receiver and / or card from the system at your primary residence? I don't want to have to pay for service at a place I'm only to go to 10-12 weekends a year, especially since I won't need the service at my primary residence when I'm there.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-05, 03:09 PM
Technically it is possible (you need to take a whole reciver/card with you, the dish can stay), but it might be against the terms of service with your provider.

Old 10-15-05, 05:19 PM
Just buy another Dish and set it up.

Vacation homes, motor homes - no problem.

fred

Old 10-17-05, 05:10 AM
That's what I thought. The "technician" at Dish Network Customer No-Service told me that it wouldn't work - that I'd have to order a new subscription. She said that a separate signal was "beamed" to each location. I figured she didn't know what she was talking about, or more likely, it is company policy to "mislead" in order to increase subscriptions.

Old 10-17-05, 03:55 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Once the receiver is subscribed as long as you point the dish at the satellite it will work. It doesn't know where it is physically located. Just don't plug in the phone line at the vacation home. If the receiver dials home from a different phone number you will have problems.

Old 10-30-05, 09:56 AM
BRDSS
Visiting Guest
You will be able to get most channels no matter where you are in the US as long as the dish is pointed correctly. What you won't get is some local stations. Most of the locals are "spot beamed" meaning they are only broadcasted to the area they cover, with a little bit of overlap. Only a few of the big locals are nationally available, such as New York, Chicago, L.A. and a few others