Can I split DishNetwork

Old 10-12-05, 01:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I split DishNetwork

I spoke with Dishnetwork and they offered to let me buy a second receiver (an upgrade) and let me keep my original to hook up to a second tv as i desire (because i bought the first years ago). Is it really that simple to split the incoming coax at somepoint and feed to a second TV w/o paying an additonal programming fee? If I can split would a basic splitter work? The only thing I can think of that I need is the "splitter" they put really close to my current receiver that splits the incomin coax into a satillite feed and an over the air antenna feed (one coax in splits to two coax's into the receiver).

Old 10-12-05, 03:08 PM
C
You cannot split in most cases, and it seems your system is likely one of the ones where you need to run a second coax from the dish.

Old 10-13-05, 06:00 AM
H
I'm fairly certain there is only one coax coming into the house but when it gets close to the back of the tv it's split into two to separate line: the over the air antenna and the dish feed go into the receiver as two different coax's. on the roof the antenna and the dish use a "splitter" to get each of these coax's into just one coax. i think you are implying that right at the dish i run a second coax to my second receiver.

any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 10-13-05, 09:33 AM
Diplexer not Splitter

The part that is on the outside and the one inside of the house is called a diplexer. It's job is to allow the off-air antenna and the satelitte dish to use one wire to get to your TV. You cannot run two satellite boxes with one wire from the dish antenna unless you have a PRO PLUS set up which you do not,
You MUST run a second wire from the dish antenna to the extra reciever.
You would do this if you wanted to have two different channels available to be displayed on two TV's. Say one TV is tuned to CNN and the other to DISCOVERY NETWORK. That is why they charge the extra $5.00 box charge.
If say you wanted to display CNN to all the Tv's in your house you would then split the signal from the sat reciever where it says OUT TO TV.
The Satellite IN cannot have any splitters on it at all as there is voltage powering the electronics in the DISH ANTENNA outside on those cones you see jutting out. maybe his URL will be of some help.http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...ms/index.shtml GOOD LUCK

Last edited by zigzag; 10-13-05 at 09:46 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: