Problem In Hooking Up A New Dvd/vcr

Old 10-20-05, 11:57 AM
like2know
Visiting Guest
Problem In Hooking Up A New Dvd/vcr

We have a SANYO TV (1 coax input jack) that was hooked up to a PANSONIC VCR with a VHF/UHF Antenna IN & OUT coax jack. The cable line went to IN and OUT went to the TV.

This was working just fine then our great kids bought us a SAMSUNG DVD/VCR (DVD -V86000) that in addition to the Input/Output coax jacks has the RED/WHITE/YELLOW cables. So to accommodate this new device we bought a GE Video Converter (RF Modulator AV23298)).

We hooked it up like the following:
o CABLE LINE INTO GE Video Converter
o RED/WHITE/YELLOW cable from GE Video Converter to SAMSUNG DVD/VCR
(There are 3 sets of RWY jacks we chose Line In 1 (Video.Audio)
this says "Connect to the Video/Audio output jack of your external device
o F Jack Output from GE Video Converter to SAMSUNG DVD/VCR - RF IN
o SAMSUNG DVD/VCR - RF OUT to SANYO TV single input coax jack.

When the TV is On and we Turn On the DVD/VCR say to record a show on TV, the TV goes completely snowy with NO Sound.

If we try to play a pre-recorded VCR with both the DVD/VCR and TV on Channel 3 we can play the VCR usually with some adjustment to the tape tracking.

We also hooked the new DVD/VCR to the old VCR and were able to copy a VCR and the copied VCR did play as described in the prior paragraph.

Any HELP you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS Don & Peg

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-05, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do not connect the converter to the input of the dvd/vcr combo.

Connect the cabe to the dvd/vcr combo as you did with the old vcr. If you have a cable box, use RWY instead of coax (F-pin).

Connect the combo to the converter using the RWY cables (video in). Connect the converter OUT to the TV using another set of RWY cables.

Old 10-20-05, 09:52 PM
like2know
Visiting Guest
Need More Clarification on DVD/VCR Hook-UP

BobF,
I'm going to imbed your replies in this note with my further questions and or comments. THANKS for taking the time to reply so prompyly!!

YOUR REPLY TO MY ORIGINAL POST
============================
1. Do not connect the converter to the input of the dvd/vcr combo.

2. Connect the cable to the dvd/vcr combo as you did with the old vcr. If you have a cable box, use RWY instead of coax (F-pin).

3. Connect the combo to the converter using the RWY cables (video in). Connect the converter OUT to the TV using another set of RWY cables.

OUR QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
========================
1. WILL TRY THIS!

2. WE DO NOT HAVE A CABLE BOX. THE CABLE FEED IS WITH COAX

3. WILL CONNECT THE COMBO TO THE CONVERTER WITH RWY (VIDEO IN)
WE DO NOT HAVE A RWY SET OF JACKS ON THE TV - IT ONLY HAS A SINGLE COAX JACK. DOES THAT JUST MEAN THAT A COAX GOES FROM COMBO (VIDEO OUT) TO THE TV??

LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY, Don & Peg

Old 10-21-05, 10:00 AM
like2know
Visiting Guest
Yahoo It Works!!

Bob F,
I followed your hook-up instructions and all 3 mediums work (HOORAY). The TV does not go off line when I turn the DVD/VCR on, I can play a VCR and a DVD plus the universal remote allows me to go between all of the devices and do the individual functions.

I don't quite understand the purpose of the IN/OUT coax jacks on the Converter since as I'm hooked up now the only connection from the converter is the RWY to the DVD/VCR. To set my mind at rest, if you get the time I would like to know when they would enter the picture (NO Pun Intended).

A VERY SINCERE THANKS FROM BOT MY WIFE AND I.

DOn & Peg

Old 10-21-05, 04:18 PM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.

You may not need the converter box. The purpose of the converter box is to take various types of inputs - coax and RWY - and convert them to one type - coax. Its for tvs that only have a coax input or only have RWY input. The converter is also for those that have more sources (inputs) than the tv has jacks for. For example, if you had a seperate DVD player, you would need the converter to take the DVD output and the VCR output and send them both out over one coax.
In that case you would have the cable on the in, vcr on vid-1, and dvd on vid-2. Coax out would go to the tv. The coax out does not go to the vcr.

Since you have a combo, the DVD may work on coax out from the combo. If so, you can just connect the cable to the combo input. Connect the coax output from the combo to the tv.

I hope I didn't confuse you.

Then again, if its working now, why mess with it any more?

Old 10-28-05, 11:23 AM
like2know
Visiting Guest
Additional questions about VCR Hook-UP

BobF
Hope you remember us; you were very helpful with your instructions on hooking-up our new Samsung DVD/VCR to our Sanyo TV and everything is working real well.

Were now faced with another dilemma.

In addition to the DVD/VCR and TV we also have a Panasonic VCR. We have 3 one-hour HOME videos of a family reunion and would like to make copies for other members of the family.

What we plan to do is hook the Panasonic VCR directly to the Samsung VCR with them both on channel 3. Then put the pre-recorded tape in the Panasonic on PLAY with the Samsung on REC.

We bought some TDK 120 minute tapes that say on the package that for SP its 2 hours, LP 4 hours and EP 6 hours. In the Samsung document it shows for the 120 minute tape you can select either SP for 2 hours or SLP for 6 hours.

We would like to copy the 3 one-hour tapes onto an EP (6 hour) tape. Do we select the SLP option on the Samsung DVD/VCR before we start the recording process? Also, do we need to do any special set-up on the Panasonic VCR?

Looking forward to your reply!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Don & Peg

Old 10-28-05, 01:41 PM
You have it right.
Remember you want the OUT on the panasonic and INPUT on the Samsung.
Use RWY cables if you can for a better picture than coax.