Impedance & combining speaker outputs question

Old 10-21-05, 01:07 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
Impedance & combining speaker outputs question

First, if I could afford more/different equipment, this wouldn't be an issue; this option has occurred to me and has been ruled out.

Now that that's out of the way... ...onto the question:

This is my current receiver-speaker setup...

I have the impedance selector in the upper position, with no plan to change it. Also, I've combined Main B Left & Right outputs together because I only have three speakers and getting 1 of 2 channels in Room 2 is unacceptable. Obviously, running set A or B but not both isn't a problem. However, I want both A & B on simultaneously, and I don't plan on using them at anywhere near the receiver's or the speakers' maximum outputs.

I've been running both sets simultaneously, and neither set A or the speaker on B seem inordinately loud, but I'm concerned this observation may be a bit naive. I do not want to kill any of the equipment; as mentioned, I can't afford new stuff.

Certainly there's a reason the receiver specifies minimum speaker impedance, and I assume this is to prevent a user from causing damage to the receiver (or the speakers) by making it output more power than it can safely provide. Furthermore, I assume this scenario is only a concern when the volume is at or near the unit's maximum. Is this correct?

In other words, is there risk involved in running both sets at low volume?

Old 11-02-05, 02:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Excellent graphic, I'm suprised you haven't had a response.

The answer to your question is no.

Old 11-02-05, 10:05 AM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
So was I, but thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: