Hiding speaker wire

Old 10-22-05, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hiding speaker wire

My son wants to install surround sound - but has one of those garden apts with no access to attic or basement. Running/hiding the wires for the rear speakers is the problem. I thought there was something that would hide the wires - some kind of channel or something. He does have to go by sliding glass doors (preferably bottom and not around sides and top) and has to deal with heaters. the run is about 35' to the furthest speaker. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-05, 07:08 PM
Aegis
Visiting Guest
If you want to get really fancy, you might try running the wire near the intersection of the wall & ceiling/floor, and covering it up with some molding/baseboard...use a router to make a cavity in the side of the molding/baseboard that contacts the wall. Three small finishing nails will hold a very long section to the wall.

You might also try pulling up the carpet (if there is carpet to pull up) at the edge of the wall and placing it underneath.

Otherwise, Lowe's or Home Depot does have white plastic wiring conduit for walls, and thick, flat rubber conduit for use on the floor...makes a bit of a ridge, but the sides are tapered enough that it manages to be unobtrusive, especially if placed against a threshold (of the sliding door, perhaps). You may find this stuff to be more expensive than it's worth, especially if he doesn't plan on being there for very long...

If it ain't monster cable or something similarly huge & heavy, you can pick up 3M adhesive-backed cable harnesses (or ties or something...little plastic rings that stick to the wall...dunno exactly what they're called). Doesn't hide wire really well, but it keeps it from being underfoot, and it's really easy.

You could go for that modernist-industrial look and throw some galvanized-steel electrical conduit right onto the wall...add that warehouse flare with a steel jacket.

Barring this, since I was so concerned about aesthetics, I used packaging tape to secure my left & right rear speaker wires to the wall in an apartment I was renting for a year...it looked really good, too...all shiny & crinkly, hehe...

Last edited by Aegis; 10-23-05 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 07:53 PM
GREAT suggestions Aegis - I will pass them on and I'm sure one of them will work. I like the packaging tape one ! ! !

Old 10-24-05, 06:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Have you considered going wireless with something like these:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...e=11-1809317-2

Old 10-24-05, 04:31 PM
Interesting Idea - could use the wireless speakers for the rear speakers then buy center, powered sub-woofer and side speakers for the front and hook them up to receiver. Since the rear are really only background noises - I guess quality would not be an issue? Only down side is that you would probably have to have them turned off when listening to music - they will probably not sound real good when compared to the Bose that I plan on using for the front.

Have you had any experience with these?

Old 10-24-05, 06:13 PM
Well, I was in agreement on the quality until you mentioned your speaker choice for the fronts and center. That brand is at the bottom of my list. But lots of people like them.

There is a replacement baseboard available. Its plastic with channels for the wires. If your son will be in the apt for several years, it may be worthwhile.
Monster makes paintable wire. You could run it along the baseboards and then simply repaint. It won't be invisible, but it won't stick out either.

Never hide any kind of wire under a carpet. True, the current for speakers shouldn't heat up enough to cause a fire, but all it takes is one little short in the amp.

Old 10-24-05, 06:20 PM
OK - I hear you about the front/center speakers - I find that especially the center can be a little tinny (for home theater - I love the sound for music) What's your preference - maybe I'll have a listen - I am always looking for alternatives.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 10-25-05, 07:41 PM
I like Polk speakers, but they have a lower sweet spot than other brands. Infinitys are good. I've heard good reports about Klipsch speakers, but I haven't listened to them.