Monster Cable

Old 10-22-05, 04:13 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Monster Cable

I'm just full of questions today - this is my third.

When I set up my bose speaker system I used Monster Cable. I fou=nd it to be a real pain in the neck. The Bose speaker connections are just too small to take the thick wire. My sone is getting ready to set-up a new Bose system (has not bought it yet) - is Monster Cable the best choice or am I just as well off with a thinner wire? (longest run will be about 35')
Thanks

Old 10-22-05, 05:59 PM
C
Monster cable is a ripoff. You should ideally be spending no more that 1/3 the sticker price of Monster branded product for an equivalent real-world product.

For your speakers, use a smaller guage wire, probably #16 or #14.

Old 10-24-05, 07:23 PM
B
I do not consider Monster wire to be a rip-off. The quality is there and quality does not come cheap. I'm always amazed at the number of people that will spend $1500 or more on a system and then skimp on the wire to save $30.

I would not use the cheap stuff. The only cheap stuff I've seen is 18 guage. At 35 feet, you will have a noticeable drop in sound quality.

What Bose system?

Old 10-25-05, 04:44 AM
B
Thanks for the input Bob. Son is looking at a Bose Acoustimas 15 that we saw in BJ's wholesale club - they bundled it with a Kenwood receiver and DVD for $999. The demo model they have set up sounds real nice. I have an older model Bose system that I use for the front and center system - but I think the center sounds a little tinny on home theater - can't beat it for listening to jazz though.

So I probably want 14 gauge wire for that kind of run? (the 35' is just for the rear speakers - front will be much less)

Old 10-25-05, 07:11 AM
D
You can get "crimp on ends" that will allow you to connect the monster cable
to smaller connections.

Old 10-25-05, 07:04 PM
C
Originally Posted by BobF
I do not consider Monster wire to be a rip-off. The quality is there and quality does not come cheap. I'm always amazed at the number of people that will spend $1500 or more on a system and then skimp on the wire to save $30.

I would not use the cheap stuff. The only cheap stuff I've seen is 18 guage. At 35 feet, you will have a noticeable drop in sound quality.

What Bose system?
Okay overvalued then. Still, you get comparable quality with products 1/3 the price.

Old 10-25-05, 08:39 PM
B
Yes, 14 will work just fine.

Old 10-28-05, 02:55 PM
P
Funny....most people with knowledge of high-end audio consider BOSE to be the ripoff. But seriously, using audiophile wire with Bose systems is probably a waste of money...you won't notice the difference. Bose is wildly successful because of canny marketing, not true hi-fidelity sound. The stuff sounds "pretty good" but the advantage is ease of use, the aesthetic lure of tiny cubes and invisible "subwoofers," and consumer comfort with a massively advertised brand.

For many people, music is a background "lifestyle" thing, like picking the right wallpaper or curtains. If that's what you want, great. Go Bose. But leave the Monster cables for us dorks who actually sit down between two speakers to LISTEN.

Old 11-01-05, 02:53 AM
MN256QAM
Visiting Guest
Monster Cable makes fine speaker wire... thats it. Whether or not it is necessary depends on the application. Still, I believe, equal quality can be aquired by nearly any other brand of the same gauge and material. Monster Cable is not doing really anything special other than making big wires. Monster Cable is always over-valued, and with every other kind of cables they make other than power-carrying (speakers, amp power), they are a rip-off. I can guarantee that if you buy their coaxial cables, you are getting ripped off.
As for the Bose system, hook it up with the biggest wire that fits in the terminal if you are picky about perfect quality and want the easy way.

Old 11-02-05, 03:06 AM
S
Originally Posted by bogey
The Bose speaker connections are just too small to take the thick wire.
Case in point why not to buy Bose - they use crappy components. The wire is the best part of your system right now, keep it and return the Bose system. Get something else that will accept normal speaker wire and you will have better sound.

Old 11-02-05, 03:14 AM
B
Well stereoguy - so many people have been saying that about Bose - maybe they are right. I am open to suggestions. What would you put together in the $1000 range. (my old bose were great - but that was "before the cube")

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: