55" Pioneer TV w/ distorted picture

Old 10-27-05, 06:14 PM
quiring008
Visiting Guest
55" Pioneer TV w/ distorted picture

Hello everyone...I'm new to the forum. I've been looking for solutions to my current TV problem. Haven't been succesful until I landed on this site. Nice forum BTW...lots of info. My 1992 Pioneer ( SD-P5553 ) recently started displaying a distorted picture: Cone shaped heads at top and short torso & legs at the bottom of the picture w/c also has a 2 in. black horizontal band. Otherwise, color & focus are still OK. Not bad for a 13 yr old set. Is this something I could take on? I'm handy w/ tools but have never been inside a TV. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem you have is related to the field op stage-you have a feedback or linearity fault-thing to check for is electrolitycs which are faulty-try the Wimtv site if you need a schematic
regards mike

Old 11-13-05, 02:53 PM
quiring008
Visiting Guest
JVC convergence problems

Thanks a lot for responding to my Pioneer TV picture problem. Because it obviously will take more than just turning an adjustment knob inside the TV, I decided to turn it over the service technician instead. Anyway, I'd like to ask you about another TV related problem that started only recently. My 42 in. JVC rear projection (3 yrs. old) suddenly started displaying a jittery picture w/ green and red ghostly shadows. Obviously a convergence problem, right? The problem is when I attempt to reconverge, the whole left half of the field refuses to budge, I can't bring the red crosses to overlap the white crosses along the horizontal plane. Vertical alignment is still possible although it doesnt help the picture any. I read somewhere in some discussion sites that a large proportion of new TVs ( mostly big screens) are sold w/ crappy convergence settings. Any truth to that? Re my unit...is this a major problem?