one cable line, multiple tvs

Old 10-31-05, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
one cable line, multiple tvs

I have just moved into a house with 7 tv's and one cable coming into the house. The previous owner achieved this by using multiple two and three splits with some other hardware that looks like signal boosters of some sort. The splits and boosters are all located in one area of the basement in a giant tangle of wires.
My concern is when I get a highspeed computer connection for cable. I would sure think that there is a high probability for interference.
Questions:
Is there some sort of box (like an eletric panel) that I can sort and indetify all of these cables?
How many times can you split a cable and will you need a signal booster?
What is the impact on digital cable and highspeed computer connections?
Thanks!
Brett

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 10:09 AM
Yes, you can get panels to mange your RF, telehpone, and network wiring.

Old 10-31-05, 02:58 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
The best way to split for TVs is one splitter with enough outputs for all the TVs. You should only split the signal once.

Old 10-31-05, 05:07 PM
Won't the cable company install the wires? Let the cable guy take care of it.

Old 11-01-05, 09:04 AM
I live in a rural environment and receive cable through a "line of sight" transmitter. Costs a fortune to have a cable guy do anything inside the house and if I choose to go that way, I wanted an idea on what to expect. I'm not always sure of the level of expertise of the local cable installers.

Splitting a single signal into 7, should I use a boost of some sort? Is it better to split a signal an even number or odd?
Thanks!

Old 11-01-05, 12:10 PM
They will, but they will want the splitter in their box, and do the absolute easiest for them. You should get a contractor that will do the best job for you instead.

Old 11-01-05, 06:28 PM
"Line of sight"?
My first thought is to forget cable and go with satellite. I moved to a rural area last year and cable was not available. I went with DirecTV and very glad I did. I won't go back to cable.

But you want broadband, too. Is DSL available? DSL finally came to my street last summer. I lucked out. The main connection is across the street. My download speeds approach T-1.

Old 11-02-05, 07:21 AM
DSL is unfortunatly not available and DirectTV can be extremely expensive when hooking up more than a couple of TVs.
There is a chance that regular cable will be availabe in the next 10 months with broadband. I wanted to keep the status quo while preparing to make the switch.
Thank you for the ideas!
My solution: I am going to mount (one) two splitter for the initial split. This will lead to (one) six and (one) two splitter. I will run all of my main level cable to the six and my two upstairs bedrooms to the two. I will leave room for signal boosters as well. My splitters and boosters will be monted to a board so I won't get the return of the rats nest.
For starters, I will hook the main directly into the six to minimize splits. This will bypass the uptairs, which is currently inhabited by two little guys that could care less about TV at the moment but can be hooked up when needed.
I also have a TON of excess cable so I will cut the excess off to minimize the runs as much as possiable.
My question is:
1) Will a six split require a booster? Total run off of this split will be @175 feet to 200 feet of cable from all (not each) split.
2) Should I plan a split to run directly from the main to the computer when broadband is avalable to provide the straightest line possiable?
3) Do boosters add interference to a broadband or does it help the signal quality?

Thanks!!

Old 11-02-05, 05:08 PM
DirecTv expensive? I got three rooms installed for free, plus a $75 gift card from Circuit City. I did upgrade one to a DirecTv Tivo that cost me $100. Now its free to new subscribers.
DirecTv only charges an extra $5/month for each additional receivers. Cable boxes were that much. Tivo is only $5/month. With cable its $12/month.