Running Coax from crawlspace up a wall

Old 11-11-05, 12:27 PM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
Running Coax from crawlspace up a wall

I need to run a coax line to a new sattelite receiver. To do this, I need to run the coax from the basement, through a crawlspace, then up into the wall near where the tv and receiver are.

I know how to connect everything on both sides of the coax, but I've never tried to run coax up into a wall from below (the crawlspace).

Any suggestions or tricks of the trade?

thanks.

Old 12-03-05, 06:47 PM
Stuntman048
Visiting Guest
Is your coax already ran from the satellite or from a multi-switch? Is the room you are running to, is it over the crawlspace? And what kind of coax are you running, RG-6U or Old RG-59 or Dual RG-6U?

Stuntman048

Old 12-05-05, 11:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Use gravity to your advantage and run from top to bottom. There will be a (bottom plate) 2x4 or 2x6 running horizontal that you will have to most likely drill a hole in to find the cable. It is always tricky to fish wires in an enclosed are. You should be limited to about 16" between studs. Don't drill too big of a hole into the bottom plate though. You don't want to weaken it. This may require many attemps to get to go through the hole you drilled. Don't get tooo frustreated. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but this is what I have had to do in the past. Good Luck

Old 12-05-05, 04:48 PM
Stuntman048
Visiting Guest
I usually use a 3/8" Flex bit to make my hole through the floorboard. I make my hole in the wall first where I'm going to put the coax wall plate and then drill through. The bit i have is 24" but I've seen 48" bits before. I then run the coax through that hole and tie off to multiswitch or whatever from there. Just another way to do it i suppose

Stuntman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: