Panasonic DMR-ES30V VHS-DVD Combo Problem

Old 12-11-05, 12:28 PM
Panasonic DMR-ES30V VHS-DVD Combo Problem

HELP!

I have a Panasonic DMR-ES30V VHS - DVD combo unit that I am having problems with. It is a slick unit that allows you to dub VHS tapes straight to DVD with a touch of a button. I was dubbing a bunch of old tapes for my father-in-law... You know, retirement ceremonies, Christmas tapes from years ago, etc. The thing worked like a charm for 8 straight tapes. Then I picked up a VHS tape that was actually a holder for a HI-8 tape. The kind where you plug the smaller tape into the housing of a VHS sized tape. The tape would not go in all the way... It started to go in and then got hung up about halfway in. The unit shut off then gave me the error code of F06. I jiggled the tape a little and then turned the unit back on. Then it spit out an error code of F04. I disconnected everything and took the machine apart to get the tape out. The tape came out fairly easily. I put it all back together and hooked everything back up. It still spit out the error code of F04. I unhooked everything and opened it back up! I noticed that the tray that holds the tape wasn't moved back to its original position... So I gave it a little push and it slid right back to where it was supposed to be. BINGO (I thought) At this point I decided to check the operation while I had it all apart. I took a brand new tape and put it in... It got hung up half way through also... And spit out the code F06!

I really don't want to have to take this thing to a service center to get charged an arm and a leg for what, I'm sure, someone here knows how to correct!

Can anyone help me? I've Googled every possible combination for error codes. I found some of the Hxx error codes but none of the Fxx codes.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone who could help me get this thing back into working order! I'm a DVD junkie... Playing my DVDs on a 100" projection screen in HD.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and help!

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-05, 01:49 PM
Well... After an hour and a half on hold at Panasonic... I found out that the codes correspond to what is going on. (Or NOT going on!)

Code F06 means that there ia a mechanical fault relating to laoding the VHS tape

Code F04 menas that there is a mechanical fault relating to ejecting the tape.

I just wanted to scream DUUHHH in the guys ear... But then I didn't figure they would be any help... I was just hoping. There is obviously something that slipped or was jerked out of line when the original tape went in and stuck. I'll poke around a little more with my shop light and try to see what I can see. Other than that... I'll either go buy a new one or bring this one in for warrantly work. (Warranty is covered for 1 year... Labor is for 90 days) I didn't buy the extended warranty because I've never had a DVD/VHS player/recorder go bad... I will next time.

I'm still hoping for someone to spill out a holy nugget of wisdom here in the meantime.

Thanks,

Rick

Old 12-11-05, 06:12 PM
I have seen this before and it is a timing issue. Somewhere between inserting
the tape and removing it manually, the loading assembly tray is not where the
VCR thinks it is. Either the gears are at the home position and the tray is not or the tray is at the home position and the gears are not. The gears and tray
need to be at the home position at the same time. I have fixed in this in the
past by removing the tray and letting the VCR cycle at power on and then
pressing eject to make sure the gears are at the home position. This way I
can install the tray back at the eject home position. I know it sounds
complicated but once you have done it it gets easier. Sorry I cant explain it
ay better than that.

Old 12-11-05, 06:13 PM
I have seen this before and it is a timing issue. Somewhere between inserting
the tape and removing it manually, the loading assembly tray is not where the
VCR thinks it is. Either the gears are at the home position and the tray is not or the tray is at the home position and the gears are not. The gears and tray
need to be at the home position at the same time. I have fixed in this in the
past by removing the tray and letting the VCR cycle at power on and then
pressing eject to make sure the gears are at the home position. This way I
can install the tray back at the eject home position. I know it sounds
complicated but once you have done it it gets easier. Sorry I cant explain it
any better than that.

Old 12-12-05, 05:04 AM
This actually makes perfect sense! I may give it a try tonight when I get home from work. God knows I spent hours with it last night scratching my head! There is nothing broken.... I know that much.

Thanks again Death Touch

Old 12-17-05, 10:19 AM
Well... I took it apart, plugged it in and ...... Nothing.. Still the same codes. I guess I'll have to bring it in for repair.

Rick