Wiring Surround Speakers

Old 01-24-06, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring Surround Speakers

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and I'm dedicating one room to a home theater. I have two RG6 runs and two CAT5E runs to the front of the room where my TV and A/V equipment will sit, but I haven't run wires for the surround speakers yet. I'd like to wire the room for 7.1 sound, so I need 4 wires going to the rear of the room. I have a lot of leftover RG6 and CAT5 cable that I'd like to use if possible. My original thought was to run an RG6 cable for each speaker and terminate it in a pair of banana plugs, but I can't find any plugs that will work this way, locally or online. The second idea I had was to use the CAT5, combining solid colors for the positive connector and striped colors for the negative. Or, if neither of these ideas will work, I can buy some standard speaker wire and connect things that way. The length of the runs will be around 20-25 feet, if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-06, 07:09 AM
Stuntman048
Visiting Guest
I personally would use 16 gauge or larger speaker wire for all speakers. Are these in-wall or flush ceiling mounts or are they externally mounted? Regardless i would use speaker wire, you get better passthrough and sound. I only use rg6 for long runs of video and audio connections to tv and receivers.

Stuntman

Old 01-25-06, 10:19 AM
D
Wouldnt 7.1 require 8 wires to the rear?

Old 01-25-06, 02:08 PM
C
If you want it any good, use real speaker wire.

Old 01-25-06, 02:19 PM
F
it wouldn't hurt to run a few extra pairs.. you now how technology can change.