TV broadcast signal bleeds into cable signal

Old 02-15-06, 04:22 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TV broadcast signal bleeds into cable signal

Ever since Comcast cable, in their infinite wisdom, modified our channel selections so local channel 4 is 4 on the cable (used to be 3) etc, the signal quality of local network stations is trashed. I know its because the tv is picking up the broadcast signal as well as the cable signal. Is there anything that can be done about it?

Old 02-15-06, 05:30 PM
B
Interesting. I've always tuned the TV to channel 3 for cable (anything coming in via coax cable). Can you change the set up so you tune the TV to channel 3 instead of 4?
BTW - the switch probably more to do with the station than Comcast.

Do you have a cable box? If yes, does your TV have composite input jacks (red/white/yellow)? You might try using that set-up.

Old 02-16-06, 07:01 AM
W
There's no cable boxes so you have to change the channels using the TV tuner.

Old 02-16-06, 11:09 AM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
As i understand it this is one of the reason cable companies don't leave the local on air channels on the same channel.

Old 02-16-06, 11:15 AM
D
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
There's no cable boxes so you have to change the channels using the TV tuner.

Interesting, but I have seen where someone gets a cable box for one connection but uses a cable ready TV in another room to avoid a second box. Did not know you could just have cable turned on without getting one cable box. Make sure the input on your TV is set for cable and not antenna. If you have an antenna connected, disconnect it.

Old 02-16-06, 11:15 AM
W
Originally Posted by joed
As i understand it this is one of the reason cable companies don't leave the local on air channels on the same channel.
Correct. Why they changed it is beyond me.

Old 02-16-06, 11:19 AM
W
Originally Posted by Death Touch
Interesting, but I have seen where someone gets a cable box for one connection but uses a cable ready TV in another room to avoid a second box. Did not know you could just have cable turned on without getting one cable box. Make sure the input on your TV is set for cable and not antenna. If you have an antenna connected, disconnect it.
Yea, 4 TVs, no boxes. Input is set to cable. No antennas but the cable itself acts as an antenna and picks up strong signals

Old 02-16-06, 07:49 PM
C
If using the best QS RG6 and compression fissings doesn't help on your end, then it is their problem.

Old 02-17-06, 05:50 AM
W
It might be their problem if there were choices in cable companies. As it is they are a legal monopoly and there's nothing you can do other than drop cable or get satellite at a much high cost and hassle factor.

Comcast techs are the ones who told me what the problem is, they say there's nothing they can do about it.

Old 02-17-06, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by wreckwriter
As it is they are a legal monopoly and there's nothing you can do other than drop cable or get satellite at a much high cost and hassle factor.
Maybe you should price satellite! All digital and with an EPG, not like the Comcast you are watching which is analog!!

Over 27 million satellite viewers got tired of analog cable and their ridiculous price increases.

fred
(Dish Network and 27 High Definition channels)

Old 02-17-06, 11:51 PM
B
I switched to satellite 2 years ago and I am glad I did. But WW has basic cable which is only about $20/month?
Satellite would run $40 for one receiver, about $55-60 for WW's situation.

Is it just local channel 4 that has a problem or do all the local channels have the snow/ghosting or all cable channels?

Old 02-18-06, 06:45 AM
W
With 4 TVs, we use all of them, satellite gets pricey with an extra 5 bucks per month per TV for this, extra 5 per that. I've priced all options, cable is cheapest.

Its all local channels, 4, 6, 7, and 10. 10 is worst. They're watchable, its just irritating that they're not perfect.

Old 02-18-06, 08:26 AM
It's rare that a family requires four different channels at the same time.
If only two diff channels are needed, a twin tuner (hooked to a phone line) eliminates an extra box charge. Either channel of a twin tuner (Dish) can be directed to other sets.

WW, if you must stick to analog cable do as classicsat suggested.
Buy a length of quad shield cable for connection - wall to tv.

DT, channels 2 thru 13 are the same frequencies whether set to air or cable.

fred

Old 02-18-06, 08:29 AM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
Have you called the cable company to complain? Maybe they have a problem with some of their equipment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: