Strange Direct TV Problem

Old 03-01-06, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange Direct TV Problem

Hi Everyone....

This problem really has me baffeled....

We currently have Direct TV connected to our TV's. But here is our problem. When we hook the 75ohm coax from the wall(coming from the satelite dish) to either our 2 Samsung boxes or Direct TV DVR, it causes the electric breaker to trip. If the box power is off and the cable is hooked up everything is ok until the box power is turned on and then the breaker trips. To make this even more complicated, this only happens in 2 rooms, Master Bedroom and Spare bed room, both different circuits (the home theater area and family room work just fine). In addition to this we have a RCA and 2 Hughes Direct TV Boxes, but when they are hooked up in the Master bedroom or Spare Bedroom, everything is fine with these boxes on the circuits. Why would a specific brand Direct TV Box trip a breaker on a specific circuit and another brand box won't??? Any Ideas would be appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 05:01 PM
Let me see if I've got this straight, you have a total of 6 receivers: 1 RCA, 1 DVR, 2 Hughes and 2 Samsung. All of the equipment works fine everywhere in the house, except for the Master and Spare Bedroom. These two rooms have a problem with the DVR and Samsung units only.

If this is correct a little more info would be nice. What size breakers are protecting the Master & Spare, are they the same size as the rest of the house? Do have a powered or non-powered multiswitch? Is any of the equipment or Coax connected to surge protectors?

Old 03-01-06, 06:58 PM
Additonal info

Yep... that is correct....

All of the breakers are square D 15 amp. There is no switch out side just 4 lines coming down off of the dish (3 LNB). Each line goes to a room in the house. Also there in no surge on the coax and the boxes are on a power surge protector ( this issue occurs if the power surge protector is there or not there).

Hope that helps...

Old 03-02-06, 05:14 AM
I'm probably over troubleshooting here, but this is just a thought.

You have 4 lines from the dish and 6 receivers? Does that mean you are splitting (running in parallel) a signal from one or more of the lines running in from the dish? If this is the case, I think I have a pretty good idea what could be going on.

The dish you have has the ability to handle only 4 receivers. Each receiver actually powers the applicable part of the the dish (controlling the switches). If I recall (it has been a while), each box puts out 12 VDC to the dish. If you are connecting 2 (or more) boxes to the same connection on the dish, you are essentially sending power from one box to the other, if there is a slight difference in output voltage, current will travel into, as opposed to out of the box and could quite easily cause a surge (because one of the boxes is trying to maintain voltage but is being drawn down by the other). This would have the potential to cause the problem. It is even more suspect because you have 2 suspect locations in the house and 2 receivers more than the dish can handle.

I would suggest disconnecting all the boxes in the house (or at least the ones connected in parallel) from the dish and try to suspect boxes again alone.

The other possibility is that you have a low resistance coax cable, but I would tend to say that is not the problem.

Old 03-04-06, 11:02 AM
Additonal Information

Only 4 receivers are hooked up at any one time. (I own a total of 8) Currently they are:

Home theater: HD Box, Direct TV Brand
Family room: HD Box, Direct TV Brand
Master Bed: Hughes
Spare Bed: Hughes
Samsung(1), Samsung (2), RCA, and a Direct TV DVR all of which are not hooked up.

Each receiver that is hooked up has a straight connection to the dish, there are no switches/spliters or anything like being used.

When the either of the Samsung (own 2) or the Direct TV DVR is hooked upstairs in the Master Bedroom or spare bedroom they trip the breaker, the Hughes for some reason don't trip the breaker.

Old 03-04-06, 07:08 PM
Gremlins

I have a few ideas, but nothing really solid.

It sounds like you may have a low resistance to ground (not a short to ground) and some boxes have sufficient circuitry to handle it, others to not.

I can suggest a few things, but depending on where the dish is (and available spare cable) you may or may not want to do these things.

See if it is at the dish. Do this by unplugging the cables at the dish, turn on the box (there will be no reception) and see if the breaker trips. If not, it is probably at the dish. If it does....

Swap leads on the dish, switch a cable on a circuit that you know does not give you a problem with one that does, try a trouble box in both locations. If the breaker does not trip in a problem location (with a different cable), then you will probably have to replace the cable.

Things like this are very hard to troubleshoot and can be very frustrating. A small amount of moisture in a coax fitting or cracked insulation can be enough to do something like this (and the design of the boxes may not be able to handle the reduced resistance (higher current)).