Splitting TV Cable

Old 03-20-06, 11:49 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting TV Cable

My television cable goes to 4 locations in my house. Would like to add cable to one more bedroom.

Do I get a larger splitter and split at the point where the cable meets the house or can I get away with adding a 2-way splitter in the bedroom next door and simply go through the wall (short distance- 10feet of cable) ? This would prevent me from having to run cable along the back of my house (100 feet), drilling through the outside of the house, etc.........

**The cable in the bedroom next door goes to my voice/computer modem.........just concerned that I don't sacrifice speed, quality by splicing there ..........any suggestions/feedback is greatly appreciated...I know I can call the cable company to do it, but just wanted to see if I can save some bucks.........thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 01:16 PM
I
I know it is always suggested that the cable modem installed at the first splitter coming into the house. You might be able to get away with adding another splitter before the cable modem, but it is definately not recommended and personally I would not do it. You also have to be careful with what kind of splitter you use. Check these sites for more information.

http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/tvsplitter.htm
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/cabletech/4.%20Splitters

Also, why not try to run the cable through the walls and not outside?

-Mike
"That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt."

Old 03-20-06, 01:50 PM
S
splitting tv cable

thanks so much!!!!! very helpful!!!!!!

Old 08-03-06, 09:06 PM
sluggo63,i would buy a 2-way splitter 1000mhz and split it next to remove you are putting cable in. try not to put a splitter at the house conn. this will lower the dbs on all your outlets ,your modem and cable box if any will feel the pinch on the amount taken off. if you have no choice ,you will need to get a bi-directional amp too feed all outlets at a good level.i would run cable from the nearest room and split it .that way you don't loose the signal from the span of the cable.if the adjacent room is where it's going use a closet or if the cable runs from the attic you can run it thru the walls w/ a metal fishline between the wall studs.make sure you get good fittings put on or it will later affect your tv's.

GOD BLESS

Last edited by NAVYDAD; 08-05-06 at 02:33 PM.