In wall/ceiling wiring

Old 05-18-06, 08:29 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In wall/ceiling wiring

I recentely bought a house and am wondering what is the best way to wire my speakers throught the wall/ceiling. I'm running a 7.1 system, with the 4 surrounds to be ceiling mounted. This system will be in the basement, so getting into the attic is not an option. I want this system to look good, but I also know what a hassle in wall wiring can be. I've been told I could run the wire under the carpet (flat wire) to the baseboards, drill there, and then drop the wire down the wall...how hard is this to accomplish? I'm very skilled at audio setup, but as far as carpentry goes....not much experience. Any suggestions?

Old 05-18-06, 05:39 PM
Stuntman048
Visiting Guest
Before I suggest too much, I'm kinda confused on where you are going to be mounting these speakers. Are they going to be on the wall near the ceiling or are they actually going to be on the ceiling itself. If on the wall you have the right idea on how to run the wire. It's better to start on the wall and run the wire down to the floor and then along the carpet.

If you are going to be on the ceiling then I think your going to be in for a rough time if you want the whole thing concealed. You would be talking about running through the wall and then through the ceiling which is almost impossible in a finished basement without drilling a lot of holes. Do you by chance have a drop ceiling or is it totally finished in sheetrock on the ceiling?

If it was my house, I would be mounting on the wall instead of the ceiling. When I do installations for customers I usually mount the speakers roughly 8-10" below the ceiling, depending on the house.

Just my two cents,

Stuntman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: