Surround sound

Old 05-11-06, 06:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Surround sound

I recently purchase a yamaha surround sound system. I follow all the instruction to hook up different component and I am getting the surround sound when I play a dvd, but can't get the surround sound from the tv itself. Can anyone help me get the surround sound to play whenever I watch just tv.

Old 05-11-06, 01:38 PM
B
First you need a digital source for the sound. That means digital cable or satellite AND tuned to a station broadcasting in surround sound. I have satellite and at least get pro-logic effects on the analog channels because the sound is all digital. Satellite reception is all digital. When I had digital cable, only channels above 100 had digital sound.

Then you need either a digital coax or fiber optic cable to carry the sound from the cable/sat box to your surround sound receiver.

You will not get surround sound if the sound first goes to the tv. You cannot get surround sound from analog (red/white) cables. ie) You can't get 5 channels using only 2 channels.

Old 05-12-06, 06:11 AM
I
I'm sorry BobF but you are wrong about needing a digital source. You only need a digital source if you want dolby digital or DTS surround. You can get simulated surround like dolby prologic I / II or any other built in DSP from an analog source using analog cables.

For Justnoww, it would be helpful to know what your setup is before we can figure out what is wrong. Do you have a cable box? How is it connected to the TV? How do you have the TV / Cable box connected to the receiver? What type of connections do you have on the back of the cable box and TV? When you say you do not have surround sound, is there any sound coming from the home theater speakers or just not from the surround speakers? Are you looking to get dolby digital from the TV? What surround sound mode do you have the receiver set to for the TV?

There are many different possible problems that could be causing you not to get "surround sound" so answer the above questions and hopefully someone can help you out.

-Mike
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight... turbulence and then explode."

Old 05-14-06, 06:56 PM
B
Ironhead,
Yes, you can get simulated surround sound using stereo cables via pro-logic. But, thats only if the source is in true stereo. When I had digital cable, the sound for the analog channels were not in stereo. I needed both left and right channels, but there was no separation. It was only after getting satellite that I heard sound effects on the analog channels.

In the posters case, I'd bet that he's running the sound thru his tv first. Its rare that a tv will pass on true stereo and thus the pro-logic signals. Further, I imagine he's using just a coax cable as input to the tv.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: