tv cable reception

Old 05-17-06, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tv cable reception

should it make any difference whether any extra coax is rolled up or should any access be cut off .will access make interference in the picture? such as lines or etc.

Old 05-18-06, 09:25 AM
Are we talking a few feet or 100 feet?

I wouldn't want to have too much excess unless you need it for some reason. The longer the line, the more signal loss you could potentially have. Also, the type of cable will affect the signal quality. Be sure to use RG-6 rather than RG-59.

If you do want to have some excess, there is no problem rolling it loosely and using some cable ties to secure it. I wouldn't want to roll it really tight though.

Old 05-21-06, 08:03 PM
cable tv reception

whats the difference between rg-6 and rg59?

Old 05-22-06, 02:47 PM
RG-6 has a larger conductor, more shielding, and a larger insulating dielectric. Giving you more bandwith, less interference and keeping the signal more consistent through the run. It's not much more expensive and is and will be worth it.

Old 05-24-06, 12:32 PM
cable tv interfererence

i saw some rg-6 cable at the store that had ground wire with it,then another rg-6 that did not have that ground wire.would there be any difference betweene them? ok,im stupid,that ground wire gets grounded where on any good ground around,right. ive never grounded tv cable before. i do have several tvs runing off my line.im embarrassed to say how many.at least 6.

Old 05-24-06, 12:57 PM
The cable company is required to ground the cable that comes into your house. Usually if you check where the source from the cable company ties into the house cable, you will see some sort of ground there. I do not think you would need to buy the cable with the ground wire if you are just adding new cable outlets to additional rooms (at least I have never done this, but I could be wrong).

Don't worry about having 6 TVs connected. Nowadays that is very common. The problem comes when you start splitting the cable a lot rather than running home runs from the source. Everytime you use a cable splitter, you lose some signal (it will usually say on the splitter how much you lose). For example, if you have a two-way splitter at the start, and then split one of those lines, and then split that line again, etc.... you will see some signal loss. Try to minimize the number of splitters and run as many home runs from the source as possible. If you can't avoid it and notice signal loss, they sell signal amplifiers that you can install close to the source to boost the signal.

Old 05-24-06, 01:02 PM
More information on Cable TV Grounding

According to the National Electric Code, the telephone service, cable TV, satellite, and antenna grounds must be connected to the ground point of the incoming electrical service to provide proper protection. Many times this is not done.

Old 05-29-06, 09:42 PM
cable tv reception

is there any difference in the splitters? i suppose there is,since its that way with every thing else. im finding alot of people that dont know about these different cable types. i sure didnt. the salesmen at the stores didnt either.

Old 06-02-06, 03:20 PM
yeah if you have the option get a splitter that is gold plated, they are not that much more expensive.

Old 06-02-06, 03:24 PM
yeah if you have the option get a splitter that is gold plated, they are not that much more expensive. Like kchinth was sayin, try not to split on a line that is already split. but getting a splitter that has more than 6 outs will make it pretty expensive for a good one. just guessing but somewhere in the range of $60-$90.

Old 06-08-06, 10:45 PM
tv reception

are you talking about about these splitters that are about 6inches by 6 inches across? i was talking about the ones that are several inches. ive seen the other ones at lowes for about $40.00 does the average family need those big ones that just have regular digital cabal> are those big spitters mostly for dishes or not? all i have now for splitters is the small gold four way ones.are they ok? one is new.

Old 06-09-06, 01:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look at this post that I started Would this help you at all

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...d=1#post995735

Old 08-03-06, 10:00 PM
those will be fine ,remember the more you split the less you get back .you want the majority of the signal to main splitter junction.i worked for a cable com. and i have replaced many gold splitters in my time .you can tell the quailty just by holding it on your hands you will what i mean.if you have any doubts they sell amps with RFconnections on it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: